Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Thomas Svensen <Th...@fast.no> on 2006/04/10 09:41:20 UTC

Chainsaw client/server version

Hi,

I have been using Chainsaw a bit, but the swing GUI is just too heavy. A
more efficient solution would be a very simple HTTP server and a web
page using AJAX to make it dynamic. That would solve two issues:
	- client resource usage
	- "tailing" over SSH

Has anyone tried setting up something like this? Any good reasons why it
should not work?

I might be trying it out before long. Would be a fun way to learn Ajax,
too :-)

- Thomas S.

DailyRollingFileAppender not rolling

Posted by Bill Harrelson <bi...@accordare.com>.
Hi,

I'm having trouble with DailyRollingFileAppender not rolling.  I am
running Tomcat 4.1.24, and I have two webapps: webappA and webappAtest
each has the log4j jar files in the WEB-INF/lib directory, and there is
no other log4j jar in the classpath or in shared/lib or common/lib.
Each has it's own configuration file and each config file is identical
except for the file name as follows:

log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, stdout, R

log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{MM/dd/yy HH:mm:ss}
[%c{3}]:(%x):%-5p: %m%n
log4j.appender.stdout.threshold=INFO

log4j.appender.R=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.R.File=D:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat5.5/logs/webappA.log (webappAtest.log in the other)
log4j.appender.R.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{MM/dd/yy HH:mm:ss}
[%c{3}]:(%x):%-5p: %m%n

On one of the webapps (webappsAtest if it matters) the log file rolled
properly (until recently) and the other never rolled.  Now both don't
roll.  I tried setting the date pattern to '.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm, and the
one that hadn't been rolling rolled just fine.  But it won't roll for
'.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH or '.'yyyy-MM-dd.

So what changed? There was a log4j jar file in shared/lib, when one
rolled and the other didn't.  I thought that might be causing a problem
so I removed it.  Now neither one rolls.

Logging is working fine, it's just that the logs don't roll.

Can someone give me a pointer what to look at next?

Thanks,

Bill