Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com> on 2013/06/28 12:41:31 UTC

Can we remove cluster tools?

We still have a couple of cluster-related python tools on trunk,
although there hasn't been any cluster *code* on trunk for some time.

They are:

./qpid/tools/src/py/qpid-cluster-store
./qpid/tools/src/py/qpid-cluster

Is there any reason they should stay ?

In fact, now that I have unleashed the awesome power of "find",
I also see:

./qpid/cpp/src/tests/qpid-cluster-benchmark
./qpid/cpp/src/tests/cluster_test_scripts   (directory, empty)
./qpid/cpp/src/tests/qpid-cluster-lag.py
./qpid/tools/src/ruby/qpid_management/lib/qpid_management/cluster.rb

and, of course,

./qpid/cpp/src/qpid/cluster     (directory, empty)

Should we remove all these things from trunk, and recycle their
bytes to create the new and better code of the future?

Re: Can we remove cluster tools?

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 06/28/2013 10:09 AM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 06:41 -0400, Michael Goulish wrote:
>> We still have a couple of cluster-related python tools on trunk,
>> although there hasn't been any cluster *code* on trunk for some time.
>>
>> They are:
>>
>> ./qpid/tools/src/py/qpid-cluster-store
>> ./qpid/tools/src/py/qpid-cluster
>>

>> Is there any reason they should stay ?
>>
>> In fact, now that I have unleashed the awesome power of "find",
>> I also see:
>>
>> ./qpid/cpp/src/tests/qpid-cluster-benchmark
>> ./qpid/cpp/src/tests/cluster_test_scripts   (directory, empty)
>> ./qpid/cpp/src/tests/qpid-cluster-lag.py
>> ./qpid/tools/src/ruby/qpid_management/lib/qpid_management/cluster.rb
>>
>> and, of course,
>>
>> ./qpid/cpp/src/qpid/cluster     (directory, empty)
>>

>> Should we remove all these things from trunk, and recycle their
>> bytes to create the new and better code of the future?
>
> Go for it! (All extra useless stuff is just clutter adding to the
> cognitive load)

+1

Re: Can we remove cluster tools?

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 06/28/2013 10:09 AM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 06:41 -0400, Michael Goulish wrote:
>> We still have a couple of cluster-related python tools on trunk,
>> although there hasn't been any cluster *code* on trunk for some time.
>>
>> They are:
>>
>> ./qpid/tools/src/py/qpid-cluster-store
>> ./qpid/tools/src/py/qpid-cluster
>>

>> Is there any reason they should stay ?
>>
>> In fact, now that I have unleashed the awesome power of "find",
>> I also see:
>>
>> ./qpid/cpp/src/tests/qpid-cluster-benchmark
>> ./qpid/cpp/src/tests/cluster_test_scripts   (directory, empty)
>> ./qpid/cpp/src/tests/qpid-cluster-lag.py
>> ./qpid/tools/src/ruby/qpid_management/lib/qpid_management/cluster.rb
>>
>> and, of course,
>>
>> ./qpid/cpp/src/qpid/cluster     (directory, empty)
>>

>> Should we remove all these things from trunk, and recycle their
>> bytes to create the new and better code of the future?
>
> Go for it! (All extra useless stuff is just clutter adding to the
> cognitive load)

+1

Re: Can we remove cluster tools?

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 06:41 -0400, Michael Goulish wrote:
> We still have a couple of cluster-related python tools on trunk,
> although there hasn't been any cluster *code* on trunk for some time.
>
> They are:
>
> ./qpid/tools/src/py/qpid-cluster-store
> ./qpid/tools/src/py/qpid-cluster
>

> Is there any reason they should stay ?
>
> In fact, now that I have unleashed the awesome power of "find",
> I also see:
>
> ./qpid/cpp/src/tests/qpid-cluster-benchmark
> ./qpid/cpp/src/tests/cluster_test_scripts   (directory, empty)
> ./qpid/cpp/src/tests/qpid-cluster-lag.py
> ./qpid/tools/src/ruby/qpid_management/lib/qpid_management/cluster.rb
>
> and, of course,
>
> ./qpid/cpp/src/qpid/cluster     (directory, empty)
>

> Should we remove all these things from trunk, and recycle their
> bytes to create the new and better code of the future?

Go for it! (All extra useless stuff is just clutter adding to the
cognitive load)

Andrew

Re: Can we remove cluster tools?

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.