Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2009/08/18 09:12:54 UTC

[Commons Wiki] Update of "Daemon" by JaroslawStrzelecki

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by JaroslawStrzelecki:
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Daemon

The comment on the change is:
http://www.mkyong.com/tomcat/tomcat-error-prunsrvc-failed-creating-java-jvmdll/

  Yes, not only java applications can be installed as windows service. Similar to the Srvany.exe tool any other exe can be used.

  === Sample: Proxomitron (http://www.proxomitron.info/) as windows service ===
- Installation:
+ Installation:
  prunsrv //IS//PROXO --DisplayName="Proxomitron Proxy" --Description="Proxomitron Web Proxy" --StartImage=c:\proxomitron\proxomitron.exe --StartPath=c:\proxomitron   --Type=interactive --LogLevel=DEBUG --LogPath=c:\proxomitron\logs --LogPrefix=procrun.log --Startup=manual --StdOutput=c:\proxomitron\logs\stdout.log --StdError=c:\proxomitron\logs\stderr.log

  Uninstallation:
- prunsrv //DS//PROXO
+ prunsrv //DS//PROXO

  == Can I use the commons daemon to install (register) a Windows service? ==
  Yes a Windows service can be installed/uninstalled using prunsrv. See the following example to install the a Windows Service called SCNService:
  prunsrv //IS//SCNService --Install=%CD%\SCNService.exe --Startup=manual --DisplayName=SCNService

  Hint: prunsrv will add "//RS//SCNService" to the ImagePath, which will be passed to SCNService.exe when the Windows SCM (Service Control Manager) is staring the service. Most Services will ignore such command line arguments, but you should check this with your service just to make sure.
+
+ == I get "prunsrv.c Failed creating java" errors when commons daemon launches Tomcat ==
+ These errors when JVM used by Tomcat cannot locate msvcr71.dll runtime library.
+
+ Possible solutions:
+  * Copy msvcr71.dll from java’s bin directory to tomcat’s bin folder
+  * Add java’s bin directory to windows environment variable
+  * Copy msvcr71.dll from java’s bin directory to windows\system32 folder
+  * Make sure your tomcat’s pointing to correct jvm.dll folder

  == Can I use the common daemon to start a Windows service? ==
  I can stop a windows service with //SS//ServiceName. As I tried to start it again with //RS// nothing happend?