Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Savio Dias <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/08 20:00:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache worker / PHP issue

Hello,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04.

I have installed apache2 using apt-get, this installs the mpm-worker mode.
However when i try to install php5 using apt-get, it removes the
mpm-worker and installs prefork.

I need to keep the worker mode intact......please suggest.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache worker / PHP issue

Posted by Issac Goldstand <mm...@gmail.com>.
André Warnier wrote:
> Savio Dias wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there anyone who can help resolve this issue ?
>>
> Hi.
> What the Debian packager (through the apt-get program) and Eric are
> telling you, is that the PHP5 package removes mpm-worker and replaces it
> by mpm-prefork for a good reason.
> The good reason is probably that mpm-worker is a threaded version of
> Apache, and PHP5 has something that does not work in a threaded version
> of Apache, so they are not compatible.

That's correct.  To correctly run PHP5 in a threaded Apache, don't use
mod_php5 - use FastCGI.  That'll give you all of the benefits of worker
without bombing out on non-threadsafe PHP calls (or if you're POSITIVE
that you don't need threadsafe PHP5 extensions, you can use mod_php5 -
AFAIK the php5 core IS threadsafe and I know of several folks using this
in production)

  Issac

Re: [users@httpd] Apache worker / PHP issue

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Savio Dias wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there anyone who can help resolve this issue ?

Hi.
What the Debian packager (through the apt-get program) and Eric are
telling you, is that the PHP5 package removes mpm-worker and replaces it
by mpm-prefork for a good reason.
The good reason is probably that mpm-worker is a threaded version of
Apache, and PHP5 has something that does not work in a threaded version
of Apache, so they are not compatible.

What Eric is further telling you, is that you can decide to live
dangerously, and still force PHP5 to run under a threaded version of
Apache. But the way to do that, would be to build your own threaded
version of Apache from the Apache source.

Posted by Savio Dias <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.