Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Claude Duguay <re...@verizon.net> on 2003/04/03 17:46:48 UTC

Greetings

Greetings!. I have just joined the mailing list and have been lurking
for a couple of days while I work on a pair James articles for IBM's
developerWorks. This is the first article I write for IBM but their
contract seems nicely liberal, allowing non-exclusive use of the content
after it's been published for a specified period. I'm hoping I can
donate the article and code to your project at that time.

I'm writing to the user list on the assumption that James users include
Mailet and Matcher developers. Let me know if this discussion belongs
elsewhere.

I am now entering the debugging cycle for my application and expect to
have a few questions, so I thought I would introduce myself. I've been
writing for a while, with regular columns in Fawcette's JavaPro and XML
Magazines. I've also written for JDJ and other publications, and have
written more than 100 Java book reviews over the last 4 years. If I ask
a question, you can safely assume that it's not Java I'm unfamiliar with
;-).

The application I'm writing for the article is a simple Unavailable
feature. Users with an account on the James server can send a message to
unavailable@jameshost, the message will be stored and sent immediately
to anyone who sends them a new message. Sending a subsequent
available@jameshost removes the unavailable message and reverts to
normal behavior.

I will collect a few notes and send a number of questions over the next
few days. I am grateful to anyone who is able to help.

PS: I wouldn't mind having someone who's extremely deep in James
technology provide a technical review of the content as it gets closer
to completion.

A note in passing (and this should probably be bugged, but I'll mention
it here since documentation is almost certainly the answer): The
scripting trick in the run.bat file that finds PHOENIX* values is
flawed, if run under another shell, like 4NT. Also, setting the
envrironment variables before running the script does not work since the
variables are set when the Windows_NT flag is found. It may be good to
make this script sensitive to already set values for those variables,
otherwise there's no point in suggesting that they can be set in the
documentation.

RE: Greetings

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Hi Claude,

> Greetings!. I have just joined the mailing list and have been lurking
> for a couple of days while I work on a pair James articles for IBM's
> developerWorks.

Cool! It'll be nice to see James publicised there.

> I'm writing to the user list on the assumption that James users include
> Mailet and Matcher developers. Let me know if this discussion belongs
> elsewhere.

No, right here is fine, unless you have serious technical issues affecting development (i.e. bugs..)

> The application I'm writing for the article is a simple Unavailable
> feature. Users with an account on the James server can send a message to
> unavailable@jameshost, the message will be stored and sent immediately
> to anyone who sends them a new message. Sending a subsequent
> available@jameshost removes the unavailable message and reverts to
> normal behavior.

Sounds like the right kind of thing for mailets to do.

> PS: I wouldn't mind having someone who's extremely deep in James
> technology provide a technical review of the content as it gets closer
> to completion.

You can send it to this, or the dev list for everyone to review, or if you want to keep it under wraps I'd be happy to look it over.

> A note in passing (and this should probably be bugged, but I'll mention
> it here since documentation is almost certainly the answer): The
> scripting trick in the run.bat file that finds PHOENIX* values is
> flawed, if run under another shell, like 4NT.

Thanks, we inherit phoenix from Avalon, and in fact they have an .exe launcher for Phoenix these days, so we should probably be thinking about retiring the .bat file.

It would be nice if you could file this in bugzilla, I for one tend to forget things like this.

d.

RE: Greetings

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> Sorry if this is stupid, what is Mailet? Why do I have to
> write my own?

You don't have to.

You _can_ write them if you want to add filtering or processing not provided by James.

If you don't want to write Mailets you don't need to know Java, and James _can_ be used with .NET.

d.

Re: Greetings

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.

RE: Greetings

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> So only Java-proprietary? Then ?I have to install other
> mail servers :-O.

No you dont, James itself is written in Java, but it is a Mailserver and will work correctly with *any* mail clients and other servers.
If you want to use ASP.NET to send mail and to display mail in James you can do that too, using SMTP and POP3.

Re: Greetings

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.

Re: Greetings

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.

Re: Greetings

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 07:46:48 -0800
  "Claude Duguay" <re...@verizon.net> wrote:
>Greetings!. I have just joined the mailing list and have
>been lurking
>for a couple of days while I work on a pair James
>articles for IBM's
>developerWorks. This is the first article I write for IBM
>but their

Could you give us the links :). I have trouble setting up
james for sending email to  my emails like plasa.com,
yahoo.com.

I want to try using james and JavaMail API.

Btw, can I  use James with ASP.NET? or others but Java?