Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Kenney Westerhof <fo...@neonics.com> on 2005/10/02 12:10:37 UTC

Re: branches (was: Re: svn commit: r292559... )

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Zhong ZHENG wrote:

> I updated the wiki page for the maven 2 migration discussion:
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-cactus/GeneralDiscussions/Maven2Migration

I just updated it and added some comments - sorry about the layout, I've
got zero experience in Wiki page editing.

> IMHO, maybe it will be better to keep the migration code in a separate
> branch and merge to head later when the migration is finished.

Ok. This is a bit more work later on (I'm not sure if merging moved
directories will work fine) but it's the safest for now.
I'll try to check wheter it's feasible to keep the branch up-to-date with
changes in trunk. That way we only need to 'switch' the trunk with the
branch when everybody agrees it is finished.

> Also, I am a newbie committer of the Pluto project, and am planning to add
> portlet support for Cactus. Do you think the current architecture of Cactus
> is flexible enough to add such support easily? I saw that you planned to
> refactory Cactus architecture and create version 2. So how about that effect
> now?

I'm not sure about the code architecture, but the project architecture
will be better suited in the maven2 case. I think it's best to add
support in a new subproject, since the current codebase runs fine without
that support. We can look at this like a new module or 'plugin' for
cactus. I expect you're going to have to change some existing classes
to enable support for portlets; if the projects are separated the
integration will be more dynamic and probably allows for easier
integration of future changes. Plus it'll help converting to maven2
later on.

-- Kenney

--
Kenney Westerhof