Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2006/01/25 19:26:05 UTC

[all] src-ide and javadoc-ide?

IIRC good reasons were put forward a while ago for starting to
distribute jars aimed at IDE users. src-ide.zip would contain compressed
source and javadoc-ide.zip javadocs. (or similar names)

these should contain LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt. a META-INF directory
sounds like a good place to store them.

but should these jar's contain a MANIFEST?

opinions, please

- robert

Re: [all] src-ide and javadoc-ide?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> IIRC good reasons were put forward a while ago for starting to
> distribute jars aimed at IDE users. src-ide.zip would contain compressed
> source and javadoc-ide.zip javadocs. (or similar names)

commons-io-1.1 contains a -src-ide.zip file, as its very useful.
Personally I would find a javadoc-ide.zip less useful, as most IDEs
extract the javadoc from the source code.

> these should contain LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt. a META-INF directory
> sounds like a good place to store them.
>
> but should these jar's contain a MANIFEST?

commons-io does, as it was created with the jar task in ant.

Stephen

Re: [all] src-ide and javadoc-ide?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 22:08 +0100, Martin van den Bemt wrote:

> > I was hoping that if/when we start working on a new logging version
> > (2.0?) we would move to maven2....
> >
> > By the way, I'm off on holiday tomorrow, so will be unsubscribing from
> > the list shortly. See you all on the 7th of feb. Good luck with the
> > release process!
>
> Enjoy your holiday !

+1

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

> I was hoping that if/when we start working on a new logging version
> (2.0?) we would move to maven2....
>
> By the way, I'm off on holiday tomorrow, so will be unsubscribing from
> the list shortly. See you all on the 7th of feb. Good luck with the
> release process!

Enjoy your holiday !

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [all] src-ide and javadoc-ide?

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 19:23 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 19:41 +0100, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> > robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > > IIRC good reasons were put forward a while ago for starting to
> > > distribute jars aimed at IDE users. src-ide.zip would contain compressed
> > > source and javadoc-ide.zip javadocs. (or similar names)
> > >
> > > these should contain LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt. a META-INF directory
> > > sounds like a good place to store them.
> > >
> > > but should these jar's contain a MANIFEST?
> > >
> > > opinions, please
> >
> > Oh, I forgot. Work is going on in the Maven 1 plugins sandbox on a
> > maven-source-plugin that seems to do exactly this. I haven't tried it
> > out yet. There is no site for it, but there are some xdocs in svn that
> > describes it:
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/maven-1/plugins-sandbox/trunk/source/
> >
> > Let me know if this sounds interesting. In that case I can take it for a
> > spin.
>
> i've knocked something together using ant for JCL but potentially it
> might of interest when we get around to sorting out mavenised builds
> later on.

I was hoping that if/when we start working on a new logging version
(2.0?) we would move to maven2....

By the way, I'm off on holiday tomorrow, so will be unsubscribing from
the list shortly. See you all on the 7th of feb. Good luck with the
release process!

Cheers,

Simon

Re: [all] src-ide and javadoc-ide?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] src-ide and javadoc-ide?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 14:04 -0500, Henri Yandell wrote:
> For the ide's, can they be in the same jar?

not sure if they can but it sounds like a good idea :)

> What's the advantage of the jar over the zip? The ide can use the jar
> without unpacking?

not sure i understand. i was sort of using zip and jar interchangeably
(most are jar's which are suffixed with zip).

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
For the ide's, can they be in the same jar?

What's the advantage of the jar over the zip? The ide can use the jar
without unpacking?

Hen

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> IIRC good reasons were put forward a while ago for starting to
> distribute jars aimed at IDE users. src-ide.zip would contain compressed
> source and javadoc-ide.zip javadocs. (or similar names)
>
> these should contain LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt. a META-INF directory
> sounds like a good place to store them.
>
> but should these jar's contain a MANIFEST?
>
> opinions, please

This is a good thing to do. I've created source jars for my own use,
much like the src-ide you describe.

I use IDEA and it is satisfied with only the src. From that it derives
the JavaDocs automagically. Don't know about other IDE:s but IDEA
handles jar files quite nicely - no need for zip files.

Depending on how the files will be named, it might be of interest to
have a MANIFEST. Would the files contain version number? The MANIFEST
should contain the correct specification and implementation version for
the component.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] src-ide and javadoc-ide?

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
I just normally use the zip / tar.gz to link the source (or checkout the project and depend on that).
So for me : don't invest too much time on this :)

Mvgr,
Martin