Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Howard Lander <ho...@renci.org> on 2019/01/23 18:17:37 UTC

Complete Newbie Question!

Hi all

Sorry to ask such an elementary question.  We have users on Ubuntu EC2
instances for whom we would like to provide access to some web based
functionality. We would like them to be able to RDP (essentially) to the EC2
instance and run a browser.  Here's where I get confused: these instances
don't have anything like KDE or Gnome installed. Do I have to install one of
those in order for the RDP functionality to work?  I did look at the user
docs, but I'm pretty sure I am missing something basic.  Can anyone please
either point me to the most basic documentation or help me understand what I
am missing?

Thanks much
Howard

Re: Complete Newbie Question!

Posted by James McClune <mc...@norwalktruckers.net>.
Hi Howard,

I just wanna make sure I'm understanding you right: Are you trying to RDP
into an Ubuntu EC2 instance?

If that's the case, xRDP may be your best bet. RDP is a Windows protocol.
xRDP is pretty much running VNC over RDP. Just know that
you won't receive audio like RDP. VNC, to my current knowledge, doesn't
support audio. In the future, this may change.

If you need audio, you would have to configure PulseAudio on the EC2
instance. Then, configure the audio server in Guacamole.

See: https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#vnc
(Go down to Audio Support (via PulseAudio))

If you're trying to connect to an Ubuntu instance, I would just go VNC
myself. I'm not too familiar with Amazon EC2 or how
that may perform. Guacamole supports RDP and VNC, so either way, you would
just configure your system accordingly.

Installing a desktop environment depends on how you use the Ubuntu
instances. If you're using graphical applications, I would
definitely install a desktop environment, like GNOME.

Best,
James

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:17 PM Howard Lander <ho...@renci.org> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Sorry to ask such an elementary question.  We have users on Ubuntu EC2
> instances for whom we would like to provide access to some web based
> functionality. We would like them to be able to RDP (essentially) to the
> EC2
> instance and run a browser.  Here's where I get confused: these instances
> don't have anything like KDE or Gnome installed. Do I have to install one
> of
> those in order for the RDP functionality to work?  I did look at the user
> docs, but I'm pretty sure I am missing something basic.  Can anyone please
> either point me to the most basic documentation or help me understand what
> am missing?
>
> Thanks much
> Howard
>

> --