Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/26 07:54:50 UTC

Again: The Maven Repository

Hi,

So far, despite lots of discussion, we haven't come up with a
consensus on this issue. I plan to start a majority vote on this to
settle the debate one way or another, but before that (and to avoid
dissolving the vote thread into another debate) I'd like to ask anyone
interested to bring up any new insight that hasn't yet been discussed.

Much of the debate so far has been rather abstract, so I think it
would help to highlight two concrete examples of what issues this
policy causes:

a) The incubating Apache Sling project just released a set of
artifacts in the m2-incubating-repository. Since these artifacts are
not in the standard repository, we end up with issues [1] and need to
document workarounds [2]. Is this really necessary?

b) The incubating Apache PDFBox project will sooner or later make an
incubating release. Previous PDFBox releases are already in the
central Maven repository and are being heavily used from there. Do we
really need to require (and instruct) downstream users to modify their
Maven settings just to get a PDFBox version upgrade?

The current Maven repository policy makes life more difficult for many
incubating projects and their users. Are these drawbacks worth the
benefits?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-555
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/sling/site/getting-and-building-sling.html

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Again: The Maven Repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
I'll just append that I, and I'm sure the huge majority of people in
the world that use Maven, would find it incredibly irritating if
incubator releases were not automatically available in the central
repository.

So a huge +1 to enable this.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Martijn,

This is excellent feedback, thanks very much!

That being said, it would make everyone's lives easier if incubator
releases were in the central repository, so I still vote +1 on that ;)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Oops, I feel this hijacked Jukka's thread.

So, what about the following Maven repo statement?

Incubating projects won't be published to the main repository under
the org.apache group ID, but they are free to publish to other group
ids of their choosing.

This means existing projects that enter the incubator who already
publish to the main repo would probably retain their source code
packaging namespaces until the project graduates.

Is that acceptable?

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
> we'll use it as an opportunity to refactor some of the APIs in order to avoid
> a double breakage in concurrent versions.

We have some minor refactoring to do as well and we've decided to do
the same thing - if there's going to be an inconvenience, you might as
well bundle it all at once (if you can) to reduce the perceived
annoyance :)

> In the mean time, we'll release using the old mechanism through jspwiki.org
> - we'll just use Apache processes and infra to train ourselves in the Apache
> way of working while we transition everything under the Apache license

Nice!

Re: Again: The Maven Repository

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> It sounds as if waiting at the last possible second to move from
> org.jsecurity.* to org.apache.jsecurity.* is the best option for us.
> That way we can move over to the Apache SVN as soon as possible, but
> impact the existing community only when absolutely necessary.

This is what we decided with JSPWiki as well - since renaming the
packages is going to cause massive breakage of all 3rd party apps
anyway, we'll use it as an opportunity to refactor some of the APIs
in order to avoid a double breakage in concurrent versions.

In the mean time, we'll release using the old mechanism through
jspwiki.org - we'll just use Apache processes and infra to train
ourselves in the Apache way of working while we transition everything
under the Apache license (which we BTW completed just this week - if
you check out the trunk, there should be no more LGPL dependencies
around ;-).

/Janne

Re: Again: The Maven Repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
I don't know the exact usage, but I'm sure it is in lower thousands -
many people use our .jars directly, but probably many more use it via
3rd party plugins (Grails plugin, etc) that is built on top of
JSecurity.

It sounds as if waiting at the last possible second to move from
org.jsecurity.* to org.apache.jsecurity.* is the best option for us.
That way we can move over to the Apache SVN as soon as possible, but
impact the existing community only when absolutely necessary.

Great advice again Martijn, thanks!

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'd suggest also to rename the packages only when
>> you are almost ready to graduate. This allows you to merge current
>> development and maintenance quite easily.
>
> This is only if you intent to keep both subversion repo alive in //. But if
> users base their development on apache Jsecurity version, they will find it
> painfull to change the package at the very last moment. Don't know ...

In the Wicket case we migrated the committers to Apache, but left the
user community at sourceforge (our user list was migrated when we
graduated). I think for existing projects that start incubation it is
wise to move the committers first, and users upon graduation. Which
doesn't say that users shouldn't use incubator code, but I'd rather
not depend too heavily on podlings. Not only is there a risk of failed
incubation, the podling will have a different focus while in the
incubator: learning the Apache Way. So during this learning things
will slow down a bit or speed up, depending on how incubation goes.
But you'll see different stages: community building, legal vetting,
release building, etc. These will slow down the podling's feature
matrix implementation.

I think moving to the apache namespace early is not advisable. If the
incubation fails for whatever reason, your users need to migrate their
code twice. For users it it not too big a problem to rename their
packages once. With Wicket we did it at the last possible moment iirc
(at least when we got our act together and started our serious
graduation effort)

> What
> if they release a preliminary version on Apache with the new packages, and
> make it the base for the incubator developments, so that users can use it
> straight away and benefit from the new features JSecurity will implement in
> the near future ? It can alleviate the burden of maintaining two different
> code bases, out of which one is known to be dead...

That is not nice for your existing users that depend on jsecurity in
production systems. The Wicket devs have recently released Wicket
1.2.7 outside the foundation for those systems that are dependent on
wicket 1.2.x code, while we already had 1.3.2 out. Not everybody has
the luxury to migrate with the latest and greatest. Though we did
end-of-life our wicket 1.2.x branch with 1.2.7.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Hi Martijn,

Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> I would
> therefore continue maintaining the old jsecurity code, and release
> those outside the incubator, just as normal business for your project.

There are options. Maintaining the old repo can be tough, as the
repository will be different, and make merges difficult. Another
possibility is to deploy the new jars into more than one maven repo :
incubator's and current jsecurity's repo.
> <snip/>
> I'd suggest also to rename the packages only when
> you are almost ready to graduate. This allows you to merge current
> development and maintenance quite easily.

This is only if you intent to keep both subversion repo alive in //. But
if users base their development on apache Jsecurity version, they will
find it painfull to change the package at the very last moment. Don't
know ... What if they release a preliminary version on Apache with the
new packages, and make it the base for the incubator developments, so
that users can use it straight away and benefit from the new features
JSecurity will implement in the near future ? It can alleviate the
burden of maintaining two different code bases, out of which one is
known to be dead...
> THe WIcket project did have all code imported into the incubator repo,
> so we could easily backport features/bug fixes. We just released the
> artifacts on sourceforge and uploaded them ourselves to the central
> repo using the outside channels. We *did* make perfectly clear that
> even though Wicket is in the incubator, that the release wasn't
> endorsed by nor associated with Apache. You can look at the releases
> for Wicket 1.2 (http://wicketframework.org/wicket-1.2) to see how we
> did this.

This work too. Depends on the existing user's base, I guess ?
> The Apache based development (org.apache.wicket) happened in parallel,
> but for the most part in the same namespace as the old wicket code. We
> did create a couple of releases inside the incubator to learn how to
> perform an Apache release. But iirc we never actually published those
> releases to the greater public.
>
> This process worked great for Wicket, but your mileage may vary.

In any case, Wicket team made it solid. A valuable experience for sure !

Thanks Martijn !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Again: The Maven Repository

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Justin Erenkrantz
<ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...IMHO voting about where to put incubator Maven artifacts is a majority
>> vote among of the Incubator PMC, so that should allow us to move
>> forward, even if we're not unanimous.
>
> IIRC, we have voted on precisely this matter in the past.  It just
> seems that the issue will constantly be reopened until folks get their
> personally desired result.  -- justin...

Do you have a link to that vote?

What I've found is this:

http://markmail.org/message/vgndmbngroz6wqel

which doesn't seem to have been tallied, lots of discussions in the
thread but no final conclusion as far as I can see.

There's also

http://markmail.org/message/lay6eirxd2ktskjp

which is not about the Maven repository, except a tangential discussion.

And various discussions (not votes) including:

http://markmail.org/message/ibhk6j5wz2k2ltca
http://markmail.org/message/au5za6k6d5bln6dy

I didn't find anything else searching for "incubator [VOTE] maven
list:org.apache.incubator.general", and also tried that on people.a.o
in /home/apmail/public-arch/incubator.apache.org/general

 for i in *.gz; do gzip -dc $i | grep 'Subject.*\[VOTE\]' ; done |
sort -u | egrep -i 'maven|repository|artifact'

which didn't find the vote we're looking for.

Do you have a reference to the vote you're mentioning, or was the
above one ever tallied?

-Bertrand

Re: Again: The Maven Repository

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Justin Erenkrantz
<ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'd be very surprised if it does close the issue :)...
>>
>> IMHO voting about where to put incubator Maven artifacts is a majority
>> vote among of the Incubator PMC, so that should allow us to move
>> forward, even if we're not unanimous.
>
> IIRC, we have voted on precisely this matter in the past.  It just
> seems that the issue will constantly be reopened until folks get their
> personally desired result.

the reason for reopening this issue is that the current repository is
in the wrong place. the questions is therefore not whether it needs to
be moved but where it should be moved to.

- robert

Re: Again: The Maven Repository

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I don't ever recall any discussion that culminated into an official
vote.

On 3-Jul-08, at 7:46 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> IIRC, we have voted on precisely this matter in the past.  It just
>> seems that the issue will constantly be reopened until folks get
>> their personally desired result.
>
> I agree.
>
> 	--- Noel

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

  -- Thoreau

RE: Again: The Maven Repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be very surprised if it does close the issue :)...

IMHO voting about where to put incubator Maven artifacts is a majority
vote among of the Incubator PMC, so that should allow us to move
forward, even if we're not unanimous.

-Bertrand

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My guess is this issue will keep coming up *TILL* the folks who want
>>> this to happen get their way! sigh! :(
>>
>> That's why I plan to call a vote on the matter. That should close the issue.
>>
>> BR,
>>
>> Jukka Zitting

 Bertrand Delacretaz
 http://www.codeconsult.ch