Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2012/11/03 15:59:17 UTC

Re: Website CMS

Ok. I think I am done and we are ready to replace the site.

Last night I played with fancy way to include live feeds (ASF::Value::Blogs, ASF::Value::Twitter, etc.) Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I narrowed it down to third-party XML::Atom::Feed not returning any entries and left it at that for now.

This morning I ported 2 years worth of blog posts to markdown (and even preserved the article URLs!), and simply linked to them from the home page. The whole process was very simple, and for our low rate of news, I don't mind keeping it as is.

We may play with some RSS scanners in parallel without delaying the launch. For instance I would love to get a Twitter panel showing latest stuff from https://twitter.com/ApacheCayenne (a resource that is updated periodically), a commit feed, etc.

Feel free to review and tweak the site at http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/ At some point next week I'd like to flip the switch on the old site and publish the new one.

BTW, beside following this http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#publishing do we need any infra help to activate publishing?

Andrus

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Thanks! we did it!

It feels good to be in control again :)

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Looks like we still need one more redirect though. 3.0 docs were served as /doc till now, so this has to go to /doc30… Hmm… I might change the new /doc/ to /docs/ then to avoid redirect confusion.

Re: Website doc path renaming

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Sure. I'll rename 3_1 to 3.1. Makes sense.

Regarding older docs… Let me play with .htaccess. I think we can move those too.

Again, now that we have possibilities not available when we used Confluence, organizing everything the way it "should" be is certainly a good idea.

Andrus

Website doc path renaming

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 5/11/12 5:09pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> At the same time I think it is in a shape good enough to be published as "master" 3.1 (and 3.2) documentation set on the site, while I am slowly rewriting the remaining chapters. It should be much more useful to 3.1 users then just cloning the old 3.0 wiki docs (which is what we essentially have on the current site). And publishing would require HTML (and PDF) templates cleanup.

OK, then I've just added more links on the left to the docbook and java api. This is temporary since:

1. Hosting from the ci server isn't a good idea in the long term
2. The API and docbook are pointing to trunk and this is now for 3.1

However, I don't think that the differences between trunk and 3.1 are important yet and certainly we are a long way before we need to branch docbook.

I'm discussing some ideas with infra about how we might be publishing trunk realtime docbook builds. As you point out, we may never need nightly javadoc published on the website.

I'll ask infra now to put our site live, unless anyone has any final words. I've now disabled all my scripts which previously published javadocs and confluence. I have also now disabled public read access, and committer read-write access to the CAYSITE confluence space. It appears that the CAYDOC, CAYDOC12, CAYDOC20, etc space are already all gone.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Nov 5, 2012, at 2:14 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:

>> I also have a post launch cleanup list that will require their involvement:
>>
>> * stop cwiki.a.o rsync (you control this one IIRC?)
>> * delete all autoexported files on cwiki.a.o (infra)
>> * track down unlinked files in docroot, delete them, creating 301 redirects where applicable. (me or any other Cayenne committer)
>
> Actually I suspect I can just ask Infra to discard our entire website folder and replace it with the Apache CMS folder. So we should look for 'unlinked' pages now. Personally I can't think of any, and we could review Google webmaster tools after the change to see what pages people link to that are gone. I'll set that up now…

That'll work.

>>> I think the next focus needs to be on getting docbook finished so we can add 3.1 to the left menu. I'm happy to help copy in existing documentation, but Andrus, you said that you wanted to restructure the docs for this project. Perhaps you want to work on it, or outline what you had in mind?
>>
>> Yep. I can create a more site-centric HTML template for docbook and do a manual initial docs dump from the main SVN tree into the "site" and adding needed menus. Once that's live, we can work on improving CSS, etc.
>
> Are we talking about the same thing? I'm not talking about the html template so much as the content of the docbook itself. It is currently missing lots of content from Confluence and in the past you said that you did not want to just copy it over but to rearrange it into more helpful structures. Moving stuff into docbook takes a bit of effort, so any structure changes should be done first.

Yes, the new docbook stuff is about rearranging and a substantial rewrite of the wiki docs. It is still unfinished, and I'd rather we do not just move the old wikidocs to it. That would defeat the purpose of the "modernizing" effort done so far.

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 4/11/12 11:08pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
>> Nicely done polishing off those last remaining tasks... My look around the site reveals nothing that needs to be fixed before launch, so let's do it. I think infra will need to be involved to switch the website over from the current synchronisation feed to Apache CMS.
>
> Cool. You are in touch with the infra guys. Could you Jira it for them (or ask on irc)?

Sure.

Re: Website CMS

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website CMS