Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Bruce Pierson <bp...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/26 15:01:20 UTC

Mystery messages

Hello

I get the message below from *ezmlm *list manager every so often.

*Messages to you from the users mailing list seem tohave been bouncing.
I've attached a copy of the first bouncemessage I received.If this message
bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,I will remove
your address from the users mailing list,without further notice.*

I would like to know if I am still on the mailing list (I assume I am,
since I get messages) and have not been removed.  I am not sure why this
happens.

 I signed up for the mailing list originally because I had the infamous MAC
problem with the Save Stated Error.  I have had other problems as well but
fortunately so have others in this list  and by reading the groups

Bruce Pierson

*"The Department of Redundancy Department"*

Re: Mystery messages

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 03/26/2015 10:01 AM, Bruce Pierson wrote:
> I get the message below from *ezmlm *list manager every so often.

I also get them and for more than one list.  I don't know where the
problem is, but I suspect the list server.

Re: Mystery messages

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.
On 26/03/15 14:45, Jim McLaughlin wrote:

> As others have commented with respect to Yahoo, the chances of Google being
> off line that often are slim to none, and slim doesn't count.

You'd be surprised at how often the various email service providers
bounce each other's email as "undeliverable".
(Both Google and Yahoo have publicly available and distributed lists of
IP4 and IP6 addresses used exclusively for email, for white-listing by
each other, and other organizations.)

> It is yet another bug in the OO universe.

If the mailing list manager software doesn't include in all of the
headers, and other things that Google, Yahoo and the others
expect/want/demand/require, then it is a bug in the OO Universe.
If it does include all of those things, then it is just the normal and
usual behaviour of the major email service providers, when talking to
non-major email service providers.

jonathon

Re: Mystery messages

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
Rory -

My ISP is a direct feed from hGoogle.  I get the "mystery messages at least
every other week from the OO list.

As others have commented with respect to Yahoo, the chances of Google being
off line that often are slim to none, and slim doesn't count.

It is yet another bug in the OO universe.

While it is annoying, it affects nothing critical. Given the fees I don't
pay for OO as compared to, say Micro$loth Office, I can put up with it.

Re: Mystery messages

Posted by Vince-WA2RSX <wa...@verizon.net>.
TNX.

RE: Mystery messages

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Re: Mystery messages

RE: Mystery messages

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
We don't know the root cause of these notices.

What we do know is,

 1. Your receiving the notice indicates that, if there is a problem, you don't have it now.

 2. You can check the list archive to see if you are actually missed any messages, and see what they are.

I've come to believe that, at least some of the time, the message itself is a bit bogus.  And I don't know, just guessing.

 - Dennis

Re: Mystery messages

Posted by Bruce Pierson <bp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to all for the responses.  I have been using Open Office for about 5
years and prefer it as well as other Open Source applications. I was
concerned that one day I might get removed from the list without knowing
why.

*"The Department of Redundancy Department"*

Re: Mystery messages

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Re: Mystery messages

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.