Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org> on 2014/04/08 20:22:26 UTC

Re: Docs

I'd like to revisit this, since we gain a lot by exposing our docs in more
places (http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/ is wonderful, we should
replicate that).  If this can indeed be automated, it seems like a huge
win.  I had not heard of pandoc before, it looks awesome!

*Sebastien* - a few questions for you, so we can learn from cloudstack:

- What is the motivation behind cloudstack's docs being in a separate
repository?

- I noticed the cloudstack repo uses .md and cloudstack-docs uses .rst, any
specific reasons for the difference?

- Is the .md -> .rst a requirement, or just preferable?  I'm not married to
.md, just curious what's at play.

-=Bill

Re: Docs

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 8, 2014, at 2:22 PM, Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'd like to revisit this, since we gain a lot by exposing our docs in more places (http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/ is wonderful, we should replicate that).  If this can indeed be automated, it seems like a huge win.  I had not heard of pandoc before, it looks awesome!
>
> Sebastien - a few questions for you, so we can learn from cloudstack:
>
> - What is the motivation behind cloudstack's docs being in a separate repository?

It allows us to have separate releases for docs and code and especially different release cycles. Our users complained that if an error was found in the docs and that we only released docs when we released code, it could be 4 months before a doc correction got propagated. We now can create doc releases but we can also easily serve the docs that are in master.

We could have kept the docs in the same repo, that was basically a community decision. Also note that we have ~400 pages of docs.

Libcloud does not do this, they use readthedocs as well but have not split their repo.

> - I noticed the cloudstack repo uses .md and cloudstack-docs uses .rst, any specific reasons for the difference?

Yeah, don't pay attention to this :) that's not quite right, the main documentation is in .rst .

> - Is the .md -> .rst a requirement, or just preferable?  I'm not married to .md, just curious what's at play.

.rst is what's used by readthedocs.org , so we moved to .rst. Originally we used docbook format and publican to build our docs (like redhat and fedora). readthedocs might provide markdown support in the near future.

But really the biggest reasons to change format and host our docs with readthedocs were:

- That the build of our docs was a pain and the CMS on apache infra is not great.
- We wanted to provide an easy way for folks to contribute. Changing format from docbook to .rst made it easy for people to write docs. Using readthedocs gave us a great integration with github, so people can submit pull request on the fly. Once we make the commit, the docs are automatically updated on the site.