Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by tison <wa...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/18 13:01:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] Enable non-mandatory updating PR branches

Hello,

The short version
=============

Vote if you agree on enabling the non-mandatory updating PR branches
button, i.e., the "Always suggest updating pull request branches" GitHub
settings.

The full version
============

Pulsar is under rapid development and numerous fixes are pushed to master
every time. Since we are still suffering from quite a few flaky tests,
merge master and retest is a hotspot to verify the patch once more.

However, we should pull the nightly master locally, check out the PR
branch, perform the merge and push to remote. It's a bit awkward especially
when a developer works on multiple branches.

GitHub provides a button "Always suggest updating pull request branches"
with the description "Whenever there are new changes available in the base
branch, present an “update branch” option in the pull request."[1]

It can simplify the workflow with one button click.

To clarify, this is different from the branch protection rule "Require
branches to be up to date before merging" - it's non-mandatory and just
provides the "update branch" button. It means we don't force every PR to
catch up with the latest master before merged, which can cause exextremely
high unnecessary traffic. Since we already allow PR authors to retrigger
tests with the pulsorbot (or even contributors can push an empty commit),
providing such a button does no harm.

I post this thread here to collect feedback, especially from the PMC
members. Previously I asked the INFRA team to turn on this option for
Apache Kvrocks (Incubating)[2] and I believe the INFRA team would be happy
to see an explicit community consensus.

Best,
tison.

[1]
https://github.blog/changelog/2022-02-03-more-ways-to-keep-your-pull-request-branch-up-to-date/

Re: [DISCUSS] Enable non-mandatory updating PR branches

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
FYI, the INFRA team has applied the change. This thread can be closed.
Thanks for your participation.

Best,
tison.

tison <wa...@gmail.com> 于2022年8月19日周五 16:35写道: