Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/06/24 22:08:04 UTC

Icons for new tool

Hi all,

I'm working on a app for viewing JSON data. Pasting text into the app
will deserialize the data (using JSONSerializer) and display it in a
tree view. The app currently works (it is checked in under the tools
project), but it needs icons.

If anyone is willing to (or knows anyone who is willing to) create
icons for this app, I would very much appreciate it. I would need one
icon per JSON type:

Map (curly braces, e.g. "{}")
List (square brackets, e.g. "[]")
String (e.g. "abc")
Number (e.g. "123")
Boolean (ampersand, e.g. "&"; possibly logic gate icon, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate)
null (electrical engineering ground/earth symbol, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earth_Ground.svg)

The icons should be 16x16 PNGs (and, of course, must be licensed for
use by the ASF).

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Icons for new tool

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
You can ignore this request - I made up some temporary icons myself,
and it doesn't look right. The type of the value should come after the
key name in the tree, not before (which is what happens when an icon
is used to represent the type). I'll just do it with text.

Thanks anyways!

Greg

Re: Icons for new tool

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> These are commonly used, and I usually manage to find something in
> there,
> but I don't know how compatible the license is?
> http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

We're actually using those throughout our demos and tutorials right
now, but I didn't see anything that would fit.

> I was about to start work on a generic REST client... any overlap
> with what
> you're doing?

Probably not - this is strictly for visualizing a JSON tree. Though
they might be able to cooperate - you could possibly copy the text of
the response from your app and paste it into this one.

> My app will allow the user to select which HTTP method to use, specify
> custom headers, request parameters, etc, etc, and use an instance of
> HttpClient to maintain a client state (unless the user choses to
> create a
> new instance), then it'll support 'structured' display of certain
> types,
> namely XML and JSON initially.

Todd has written something similar - it's the only other app in the
tools project at the moment. However, it is more of a generic HTTP
client. I could certainly see an argument for writing a different app
that is more focused on REST APIs (and could possibly take advantage
of the org.apache.pivot.web query classes).

Unfortunately, both apps are likely to need a complete TextArea
component, which we don't currently have.  :-(

Re: Icons for new tool

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Oh, a last thing on icons:
others great Icons are here  http://www.everaldo.com/crystal/
(licensed under LGPL), done by  a famous graphic artist (some year ago
he has done all icons for the KDE Theme if i remember well) ...

Good look,
Sandro

Re: Icons for new tool

Posted by Christopher Brind <br...@brindy.org.uk>.
Thanks Sandro, I found the Poster addon for Firefox which does everything I
need. :)

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Icons for new tool

Re: Icons for new tool

Posted by Christopher Brind <br...@brindy.org.uk>.
These are commonly used, and I usually manage to find something in there,
but I don't know how compatible the license is?

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

I was about to start work on a generic REST client... any overlap with what
you're doing?

My app will allow the user to select which HTTP method to use, specify
custom headers, request parameters, etc, etc, and use an instance of
HttpClient to maintain a client state (unless the user choses to create a
new instance), then it'll support 'structured' display of certain types,
namely XML and JSON initially.

Or if anyone can suggest a good app that already does this I'd appreciate it
(sorry for hijacking the thread).

Cheers,
Chris