Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU> on 1998/01/26 06:23:44 UTC

Why does Apache talk to me?

Admittedly, this is probably a silly question, but...

I recently compiled and tried running today's CVS tree of Apache under
Windows NT, which I haven't done for a few weeks or so. I received the
following display:

C:\APACHE>apache -s
Apache/1.3b4-dev
create_event_and_spawn(): created process kill event Apache166_1
create_processes: created child in slot 0 handle 120, max=1
child: opened process event Apache166_1
child PID 210: thread_main total_jobs=0 start_exit=0
child PID 210: thread_main total_jobs=0 start_exit=0
child PID 210: thread_main total_jobs=0 start_exit=0
child PID 210: thread_main total_jobs=0 start_exit=0
child PID 210: thread_main total_jobs=0 start_exit=0
child PID 210: thread_main total_jobs=0 start_exit=0

and so on and so on...

What's going on? And how can I make it stop?

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>

Re: Why does Apache talk to me?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Paul Sutton wrote:

> console log is better in some situations, especially since you can't do a
> "tail -f error_log" on NT to see what is happening on a live server.

Why not?

I couldn't live without doing a tail -f on NT...

Re: Why does Apache talk to me?

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@awe.com>.
On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> I recently compiled and tried running today's CVS tree of Apache under
> Windows NT, which I haven't done for a few weeks or so. I received the
> following display:
> and so on and so on...
>
> What's going on? And how can I make it stop?

These are debug messages I found useful when analysing Apache's behaviour
for the recent MT code overhaul. They track what the parent, child and
threads are doing, and are quite useful when doing bulk stress tests (e.g.
thousands of requests while doing continuous graceful restarts).

They come from the ADPx() macros in http_main.c. These macros are _only_
enabled when compiled in DEBUG mode. They can be configured to log to
either the console _or_ to the error_log at debug level. It defaults to
the console currently, but should default to the error_log. That's merely
a question of changing the "#ifdef DEBUG_TO_ERROR_LOG" in http_main.c into
"#ifndef DEBUG_TO_CONSOLE".

The reason why I used a macro instead of raw aplog_error() calls was (a)
to make the debug message easy to find and eliminate if necessary and (b)
to allow for compile time choice between error_log and the console. The
console log is better in some situations, especially since you can't do a
"tail -f error_log" on NT to see what is happening on a live server.

//pcs

Re: Why does Apache talk to me?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> > I think it not should do that if you don't debug the verison build.
>
> I think it should not d that if I do. I mean, I use the debug build so
> that if Apache does bad things, I can pop into the debugger, and get
> results that make sense, and are informative. But having Apache spit out
> a message to my console window every second is not my idea of a good time.
>
> I think these messages should be turned off.

Run it as a service.  It works much better as a service now.

The only problem with disabling them is that it makes it a pain for anyone
who is actually using them (and they can be useful) because you can't
maintain your own private build settings, ie. no Configuration file.

Re: Why does Apache talk to me?

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.
On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> It likes you.  It is tired of having no one to talk to.
>
> See the APD* stuff in http_main.c.  I'm really not sure why we need a new
> way for that, but...
>
> You are probably building the debug version?

Yes.

Re: Why does Apache talk to me?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.