Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Pezhman Lali <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/05 18:37:53 UTC

spamd permision denied for non root user

hi
  before it, I used this comand to run spamassassin, with root permision.
  #spamd -u mail -d

  now, spamd must be ran from local web page, (httpd ran as nobody)
  so spamd can not run, because of this error:
  [21152] error: spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:784: Permission denied
spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:784: Permission denied

  let me know how i can run spamd -u mail , with non root user?

  Best
  thanks for your reply and help
  Pezhman

---------------------------------

Re: spamd permision denied for non root user

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Pezhman Lali wrote:

> [25489] dbg: spamd: initial attempt to change real uid failed, trying BSD workaround
> [25489] error: spamd: setuid to uid 200 failed
> spamd: setuid to uid 200 failed

Non-root users cannot change the user-id on a running process. Take a
look at the parts of your config file that talk about which user to
run spamd as, and try setting them to the user that is actually
running the programs (e.g. you).

Having the daemon change to another user is a security feature
intended to not expose root-level permissions through any bugs in the
program. If you're not running as root you already have a lower level
of permissions, so there's little point to changing the userid.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org

Re: spamd permision denied for non root user

Posted by Pezhman Lali <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Dear John

  Thanks for your great help.
  sorry because of my linux weakness.

  now , there is another problem:
  all of things are good till, spamassassin wants to build a child , and non end loop:

  spamd: setuid to uid 200 failed
[25233] info: spamd: server successfully spawned child process, pid 25488
[25233] dbg: prefork: child 25488: entering state 0
[25233] dbg: prefork: new lowest idle kid: none
[25233] dbg: prefork: child closed connection
[25233] info: prefork: child states: SS
[25233] dbg: prefork: adjust: increasing, not enough idle children (0 < 1)
[25233] info: spamd: server successfully spawned child process, pid 25489
[25489] dbg: spamd: initial attempt to change real uid failed, trying BSD workaround
[25489] error: spamd: setuid to uid 200 failed
spamd: setuid to uid 200 failed

  where is the problem?

  thanks
  Pezhman

"John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org> wrote:
  On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Pezhman Lali wrote:

> before it, I used this comand to run spamassassin, with root permision.
> #spamd -u mail -d
>
> now, spamd must be ran from local web page, (httpd ran as nobody)
> so spamd can not run, because of this error:
> [21152] error: spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:784: Permission denied
> spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:784: Permission denied
>
> let me know how i can run spamd -u mail , with non root user?

Edit your spamd and spamc configs to use a port number > 1024 (for
example, 7840). Only root can listen on port numbers < 1024.

--
John Hardin KA7OHZ ICQ#15735746 http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
Look at the people at the top of both efforts. Linus Torvalds is a
university graduate with a CS degree. Bill Gates is a university
dropout who bragged about dumpster-diving and using other peoples'
garbage code as the basis for his code. Maybe that has something to
do with the difference in quality/security between Linux and
Windows. -- anytwofiveelevenis on Y! SCOX

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1ยข/min.

Re: spamd permision denied for non root user

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.