Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Robert Biernat <ro...@objectconsulting.com.au> on 2005/10/04 03:58:29 UTC

non open source dependencies and repo

Hi,

Browsing the ibiblio repository I noticed that poms have been uploaded for a
number of sun libraries i.e javax.ejb, javax.naming, but no jar files have
been uploaded. I understand that sun jar files cannot be hosted on ibiblio
due to licensing issues, but why are the poms placed up there?

What is the normal way of handling these dependencies? I have just placed
them in my companies' internal repository.

Thanks

Rob

Re: non open source dependencies and repo

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/4/05, Robert Biernat <ro...@objectconsulting.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Browsing the ibiblio repository I noticed that poms have been uploaded for a
> number of sun libraries i.e javax.ejb, javax.naming, but no jar files have
> been uploaded. I understand that sun jar files cannot be hosted on ibiblio
> due to licensing issues, but why are the poms placed up there?

So that the dependency mechanism continues to work. eg, javamail's pom
should still depend on activation even if the jar isn't there. It also
enables us to direct people to the right place to download the
release.

> What is the normal way of handling these dependencies? I have just placed
> them in my companies' internal repository.

That's correct.

- Brett