Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2011/07/11 09:11:03 UTC

Re: DSNBounce - success response?

2011/7/11 mike tazelaar <ta...@yahoo.com>:
> For James 2.3.2,  DSNBounce has DSN Status for errors but does James return a
> success response if the transport is successful?

No, for server not supporting the SMTP DSN extension this is the
expected behaviour (returning a bounce only for permanent errors)

Stefano

Re: DSNBounce - success response?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
2011/7/15 mike tazelaar <ta...@yahoo.com>:
> Are there plans for processing success response in the future?  If yes, when.
> If not, why not?

No. No one contributed code to correclty support DSN in the
receiving/spooling/delivery parts of James Server.
Supporting DSN means tracking the message and current mailet api
doesn't support tracking, so unless we change mailet api I don't see a
full DSN support feasible.

Considering most servers don't support DSN and expecially "success
reports" I'm not sure we should complicate mailet api in order to
support it.

Stefano

PS: I locally branched james v2.3 to partially support DSN and I'm
using it, but it took a lot of changes and I never felt it was good
enough to bring my changes in james. Maybe in future I will try
upgrading my infrastructure to v3 and I will have to update my DSN
support, too, but I can't tell if this will actually happen and when.

Posted by mike tazelaar <ta...@yahoo.com>.