Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com> on 2004/07/30 11:35:49 UTC

IE5.0 and CSS import

Hi all,

just solved a strange problem and would like to share with you if you have some suggestions :

My app needs to support IE 5.0 :(
 We use CSS and I had designed my baseLayout.jsp like this :

    <!--
    @import url("<html:rewrite page="/style/main.css" />");
    -->

It works fine with IE5.5, IE6 & Mozilla/Firefox
On first request, tomcat adds a ;jsessionid=XXXX to the css URI. IE5.0 doesn't accept such an URI in the @import CSS
directive.
I changed baseLayout.jsp to :

    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<html:rewrite page="/style/main.css" />"/>

Now it works on every tested browser. I prefered the CSS @import to avoid nesting JSP tags into HTML tags. I'd like my
JSP source to look XML compliant as possible XML for beeing lisible and good example for new JSP developers.

Do you have any suggestion for such case ?

Hope it may help if anyone has such troubles with old IE.

Nico.

Our name has changed.  Please update your address book to the following format: "recipient@capgemini.com".

Asunto: Re: IE5.0 and CSS import

Posted by Guillermo Meyer <gm...@fibertel.com.ar>.
In this case, you could create a custom tag extending html:rewrite and generate
the <link> tag for you:

In your JSP:

<mytags:stylesheet page="/style/main.css"/>

Cheers.
Guillermo.

Re: IE5.0 and CSS import

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@boxstuff.com>.
Yeah there is a cost..

Re: IE5.0 and CSS import

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.
Having this, you need all your action path to have same number of directory levels, so that ../.. points to the
application context root.

We use modules and structured path with up to 3 levels, so using <html:rewrite> is usefull to assume URI to static

Re: IE5.0 and CSS import

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@boxstuff.com>.