Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@apache.org> on 2015/10/09 13:47:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Collecting Instable Tests

Hi,

right now we collect instable tests via labeling them with "test-stability".

I think it would be a better approach, to use an Umbrella Issue in JIRA
and collect them as Sub-Tasks. Storm does the same thing:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-915

This would have the advantage, that we get a simpler overview what tests
got already reported (and/or fixed). We can also list the tests by
component which makes it easier to find (the JIRA "search issues"
feature is cumbersome to use because the UI is quite slow)

I would keep current approach and label the sub-tasks with
"test-stability" and mark them as "critical".

What do you think about it?

-Matthias

Re: [DISCUSS] Collecting Instable Tests

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
In terms of usability, you might have a point Matthias. In terms of
JIRA workflow, I'd say that it makes more sense to tag and filter. An
issue with subtasks should be resolvable. Test instability, on the
other hand, requires a continuous effort and therefore not really
applicable to the concept of an issue. An "Umbrella" issue is not a
standard issue type and seems more like a hack to me.

Posted by Márton Balassi <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.