Posted to dev@joshua.apache.org by Matt Post <po...@cs.jhu.edu> on 2017/07/04 16:40:36 UTC

Re: Merging 7.X into master??? + cleaning up branches

Whether to integrate neural stuff in Joshua is an interesting question. The research direction has been to develop fully neural systems that leave behind the phrase-based and hierarchical framework entirely. Doing this in Joshua would basically require a ground-up rewrite and is probably not worth the time. Moses has neural feature functions; for example, you can use a Nematus model as a rescore feature (though it breaks dynamic programming). This might be reasonable to implement as a project but it would be quite a bit of work and introduce GPU requirements that would raise the question of why you'd use Joshua if you had a GPU available. I think that it would be better to focus on low-resource scenarios and user-focused applications, instead.