Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Jack Bates <du...@nottheoilrig.com> on 2012/11/04 10:08:48 UTC

Hardware advice for small site in East Africa

We're looking to upgrade our Apache Traffic Server hardware, here at a
village in rural East Africa [1], and I wonder if other Traffic Server
users or developers have any input or advice?

We're currently running Traffic Server on a dedicated EeeBox B202
machine, with an Intel Atom N270 processor (32-bit) and 1 GB of RAM, and
recently we had some trouble with integer overflow and running out of
memory, when we connected a 3 TB drive. We're now experimenting with
different values of proxy.config.cache.min_average_object_size and
proxy.config.cache.ram_cache.size, to work around this (thanks a lot
James Peach for your support with this, I will update TS-1528 with the
results), but Traffic Server performance is predictably bad, and in the
long term we probably want to upgrade to 64-bit hardware with at least 4
GB of RAM?

We have a 1 Mbps internet connection, and about 300 computers. Are there
any additional specs we should consider when shopping for new hardware?

A nice thing about the EeeBox is that we have a bunch of spare units on
hand. When hardware breaks, there isn't always the technical capacity to
open, diagnose, and repair it, or replacement parts aren't cost
effective, or the repaired equipment works unreliably. So finding new
hardware that's also cheap, integrated, and widely available would be
ideal. Low(ish) power consumption would be a bonus.

   [1] http://asyv.org/

Re: Hardware advice for small site in East Africa

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 11/9/12 9:21 AM, Damian Mendoza wrote:
> 4 year old Dual Core Servers.. Whitebox Intel servers with Intel
> Motherboards, 8GB of memory  - We have run 8,000 workstations on one Traffic
> Server proxy at times. We could not do that with Squid as it was limited to
> 2,000 workstations performace peeked.

Neat! You should blog post that, so we can tweet it ;).

-- Leif

RE: Hardware advice for small site in East Africa

Posted by Damian Mendoza <da...@exceleratesoftware.com>.
4 year old Dual Core Servers.. Whitebox Intel servers with Intel
Motherboards, 8GB of memory  - We have run 8,000 workstations on one Traffic
Server proxy at times. We could not do that with Squid as it was limited to
2,000 workstations performace peeked.

Damian Mendoza
Excelerate Software, Inc.
949 218-3337
Ask me how to "Monetize your WebSite and Search experience" to generate
money for your organization.

Posted by Jack Bates <du...@nottheoilrig.com>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.
On 04/11/2012, at 1:08 AM, Jack Bates <du...@nottheoilrig.com> wrote:

> We're looking to upgrade our Apache Traffic Server hardware, here at a village in rural East Africa [1], and I wonder if other Traffic Server users or developers have any input or advice?
>
> We're currently running Traffic Server on a dedicated EeeBox B202 machine, with an Intel Atom N270 processor (32-bit) and 1 GB of RAM, and recently we had some trouble with integer overflow and running out of memory, when we connected a 3 TB drive. We're now experimenting with different values of proxy.config.cache.min_average_object_size and proxy.config.cache.ram_cache.size, to work around this (thanks a lot James Peach for your support with this, I will update TS-1528 with the results), but Traffic Server performance is predictably bad, and in the long term we probably want to upgrade to 64-bit hardware with at least 4 GB of RAM?

64bit for sure.