Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Philip Ogren <ph...@ogren.info> on 2007/06/07 21:23:58 UTC

best practices for defining indexes

I don't have an intuition of what would be best practices for managing
indexes I define might be.  It seems awkward to define them in the
analysis engine descriptor file unless I refer to the index only in the
corresponding implementation which is not the case for me.  It makes
sense to import them instead as needed.  But this still seems difficult
to maintain because how do I know where an index might be used?  The
same problem exists for types - so what I do is I create an uber type
system descriptor file the imports each type that I have defined (I
create one descriptor file per type in the package directory where the
generated jcas class goes.)  Should I define all my indexes in one file
and then import this file in each analysis engine descriptor file?  This
is what I am inclined to do - but would be glad to hear other opinions
on this.

Also, is there a naming convention that  I should observe for naming
indexes?  My thought is to concatenate the package name and class name
of the corresponding JCas class of the type being indexed and the
feature that is indexed.  That way I can find determine the index I need
at runtime.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Philip