Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Nicholas <nw...@yahoo.com> on 2002/12/15 19:33:58 UTC

LDAPConfigurator/JNDIConfigurator - Floating Some Ideas

I have been making some progress in implementing the
idea of centralizing all our application configuration
data in a centralized JNDI server (an LDAP server in
this case) and the benefits are extensive.

Now I am looking at doing the same for the Log4J
configuration and I think what would be ideal would be
some sort of LDAPConfigurator, like the
DOMConfigurator but serialized to JNDI instead of XML.

My questions are:
1. Is there something like this already ? (Did I miss
it ?)
2. Is it worthwhile ?
3. In pursuit of an implementation, I thought I might
take a shortcut and make the LDAPConfigurator a
Referencable that would simply generate the
corresponding XML. In that way, the client side
configuration classes do not change since I would just
feed it a DOMConfigurator.

//Nicholas

=====
Nicholas Whitehead