Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by tm...@moneynet.com on 2001/10/22 20:32:20 UTC

Design of Dynamic loading of Log4j?

Hi,

     I'd like to implement dynamic reloading of configurations like log4j
in my application I am writing for work. Can someone explain how this is
accomplished in Log4j?
I've looked through the code and understand it all, I'm just not sure of
the correct flow of actions.

1. When the app starts up, what are the classes that do the building of the
components..(Appenders, Categories, etc) It looks like the
PropertyConfigurator and DOMConfigurator?

2. When the watch dogs go off and log4j is going to rebuild, what happens
when Log4j is busy processing log requests? How are you preventing synch
problems? Especially with FileAppenders that have the "append" parameter
set to false. Do I lose the previous data I logged before the reconfigure?

Thanks,
 - Tim

Timothy G. Mullé
Senior Software Architect