Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Mark McKay <ma...@kitfox.com> on 2006/08/27 22:39:08 UTC

Future of the task

I was reading though the apt documentation, and it begins by saying that
as of Java 1.6, apt may be obsolete and its functions incorporated into
javac.  Does this mean that the apt task will also be merged into the
javac task?

Mark McKay

Re: Future of the task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> We still support Ant 1.2, so we will certainly be supporting Ant
>> 1.5
>
> "Java 1.2" and "Java 1.5" I guess you meant.

Err, yes.  *blush*

Stefan

Re: Future of the task

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> We still support Ant 1.2, so we will certainly be supporting Ant 1.5

"Java 1.2" and "Java 1.5" I guess you meant.

Note that although JDK 6's javac does run annotation processors
automatically (no need for a separate tool), it does *not* accept those
written against the semi-official apt API in JDK 5.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com  x22801  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org
       http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1

Re: Future of the task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Mark McKay <ma...@kitfox.com> wrote:
> I was reading though the apt documentation, and it begins by saying
> that as of Java 1.6, apt may be obsolete and its functions
> incorporated into javac.  Does this mean that the apt task will also
> be merged into the javac task?

Unlikely.

We still support Ant 1.2, so we will certainly be supporting Ant 1.5
for a long time, which requires a separate apt task.  In fact we've
improved the apt task in Ant 1.7.0.

Stefan