Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by LuisLo <he...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/19 09:23:50 UTC

Modular graphic interface

Hi all.

Currently my company has a production system based on karaf. The system is
quite dynamic and the client requests new functionalities periodically, some
of which should not be deployed in all sites.
Thanks to Karaf we have elegantly solved, through "features", the part of
business logic, so that some deployments contain some services and other
deployments contain others.
However, the graphical interface is always the same (enabling or disabling
unused areas). We use JSF + primeFaces.
Is there any way of modulating the war that contains the graphical
interface? We have tried to use fragments, but we have not been able (or
known) to make a modular application.
Note: we prefer a JSF solution, but we accept any other web framework.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Modular graphic interface

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Long long time ago we made an attempt to push concept of modular console
forward: https://github.com/apache/karaf-webconsole. This project is
archived for quite long time as it didn't get beyond Karaf. As you might
expect other communities favored their own tools.

Above is based on wicket, still maintained btw. A glue is pax-wicket
which manages classloaders and extensions to create a fully dynamic
application. There is a bit of magic, however everything happens at Java
level thanks to osgi services and existing Wicket SPIs.

These days most of management tools is based on modern technologies
which communicate via http to retrieve necessary information from
backend. While many of these client oriented technics claim to have
modularization concepts, most of them do not support any dynamism when
it comes to deployment of app. At least I don't know one which does that
out of the box. GWT for example is statically compiled which forces you
to repeat what we did with Wicket, but on client side.
If you aim "modern market" you might need to assemble/generate some kind
of JS resource on the fly which will pull necessary js modules (static
or semi static resources) from deployed bundles.

One of longest surviving projects is felix webconsole which is fairly
basic, however it does support extensibility. Maybe you will be able to
repackage it in a way that it will host your needs.

Kind regards,
Łukasz Dywicki
--
Code-House
http://code-house.org

Posted by "Weirig, Alex" <al...@technolink.lu>.
Hello,

if you want to stick with Java, you can have a look at the Vaadin Framework.

Vaadin 8 was/is pure Java. With the newer versions you can also use webcomponents.

You can create modular UIs where even individual parts of the UI can be OSGi modules.

---

Mat frëndleche Gréiss,
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Meilleures salutations,
Kind regards, Alex Weirig Responsable Technique
Ville de Luxembourg
Service Enseignement
Centre Technolink Tel +352 4796 - 6127 Fax +352 42 88 81 Email alex.weirig@technolink.lu www.vdl.lu // www.technolink.lu Centre Technolink
2, rue Charles de Tornaco
L-2623 LUXEMBOURG

I know Yupiik is using Angular (deployed in Karaf) with Karaf backend.
It's quite module as each part of the whole application is an Angular
bundle.

Maybe it's possible to do that same with other frameworks.

Regards
JB

On 19/02/2019 10:23, LuisLo wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Currently my company has a production system based on karaf. The system is
> quite dynamic and the client requests new functionalities periodically, some
> of which should not be deployed in all sites.
> Thanks to Karaf we have elegantly solved, through "features", the part of
> business logic, so that some deployments contain some services and other
> deployments contain others.
> However, the graphical interface is always the same (enabling or disabling
> unused areas). We use JSF + primeFaces.
> Is there any way of modulating the war that contains the graphical
> interface? We have tried to use fragments, but we have not been able (or
> known) to make a modular application.
> Note: we prefer a JSF solution, but we accept any other web framework.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

I know Yupiik is using Angular (deployed in Karaf) with Karaf backend.
It's quite module as each part of the whole application is an Angular
bundle.

Maybe it's possible to do that same with other frameworks.

Regards
JB

On 19/02/2019 10:23, LuisLo wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Currently my company has a production system based on karaf. The system is
> quite dynamic and the client requests new functionalities periodically, some
> of which should not be deployed in all sites.
> Thanks to Karaf we have elegantly solved, through "features", the part of
> business logic, so that some deployments contain some services and other
> deployments contain others.
> However, the graphical interface is always the same (enabling or disabling
> unused areas). We use JSF + primeFaces.
> Is there any way of modulating the war that contains the graphical
> interface? We have tried to use fragments, but we have not been able (or
> known) to make a modular application.
> Note: we prefer a JSF solution, but we accept any other web framework.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net