Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/26 01:25:37 UTC

[GSoC] Proposal - Automated webapp tests

Hi,

As we currently only have normal JUnit tests for automated testing in
MyFaces Core, it would be really great to have a way to test MyFaces Core
automatically in a real webapp at build time with maven. Of course, we
currently have the test-webapp, but we still have to check each page
manually here, if we want to test everything, which is long-winded.

To accomplish something like that we could use test frameworks like e.g.
Canoo WebTest or HttpUnit + Jetty or something similar. I also want to
mention JSFUnit here, although we won't be able to use it since it is LGPL
licensed.

The goal of this GSoC project would be to find alternatives and also to find
the best-fitting test framework for MyFaces Core. Then the goal would be to
integrate it with MyFaces Core, to define rules and provide how-tos and to
write a bunch of test cases.

This would help us enormously in ensuring and improving the quality of
MyFaces Core by getting a far bigger test coverage and more possibilities to
test.

What do you think? Are there any students who are interested in working on
this?

Regards,
Jakob

Re: [GSoC] Proposal - Automated webapp tests

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
+1!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Martinconi Cosmin <co...@codebeat.ro>.
Hi,

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
I just created MYFACESTEST-6 and labeled it accordingly. In addition Gerhard
Petracek and I are willing to mentor it.

Regards,
Jakob

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi jakob,

additions:

#1: yesterday (in our discussion about it) we also talked about a
replacement for shale-test (e.g. based on easymock or mockito or ...).
#2: since we also need it for sub-projects like extval, codi,... we should

Posted by Jan-Kees van Andel <ja...@gmail.com>.
Selenium is actually quite nice. I used it on a previous project. It is
really easy to record scripts, but also integrates very well with a Maven
build, for example using Selenium RC.

But it's 100% client side, so you don't have the deep JSF insight as with
JSFUnit. My only JSFUnit usage was the beta, which was like 2 years ago, so
I don't know the current state.

/JK

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.