Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com> on 2009/01/05 08:54:22 UTC

Some advice needed on JSPWiki package names

Hi ho folks!

We were preparing for a massive rename from our old jspwiki name
space to the "org.apache.jspwiki.*" -package to prepare for our first
Apache release when we hit a major snag.

Turns out that Jasper JSP compiler has a bug in it, and it thinks all
classes with their FQN starting with "org.apache.jsp" are it's own,
instead of "org.apache.jsp." (note the trailing period).  We are
tracking this issue at

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-465

Now, Jasper has this fixed in the trunk, but since it's used rather
widely in other servlet containers, it means that very few servlet
containers will be able to run JSPWiki for quite a while.

We've got some fairly hackish ways around this (which cause pain), so
the question to Incubator folks is - can we use a different package
name than "org.apache.jspwiki" for our project, or does it require a
full rename of the project itself?  For example,
"org.apache.x.jspwiki" where "x" can range from being a literal "x"
to something else?

We'd hate to lose the JSPWiki brand (due to four missing characters
in an another project!) because we've existed for over seven years
and have an established name.  In addition, figuring out a new name
for a project is always a real pain...

Any ideas/advice from more experienced people?  Any other options
than those listed at JSPWIKI-465?

/Janne

Re: Some advice needed on JSPWiki package names

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Janne,

one of my favorite quotes - "The problem with quick and dirty is that
dirty remains long after quick has been forgotten"

+) when do you expect a JSPWiki 3.0 release to hit the public - I think
it will be a while ...
+) even when JSPWiki 3.0 is available only a few people will use it in
production - and they will experience a lot of more problem than this
Jasper bug looking at the current refactoring
+) Jetty on JDK 1.5 onwards is probably not affected since it does not
use Jasper out-of-the-box
+) following my line of work with "Wiki On A Stick" - provide a ready to
use distribution in addition to a plain war file so a lot of people
won't be aware of the problem

So I think

+) it's a funny and annoying problem
+) stay clear of any dirty hack
+) comment this issue and the workarounds

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

PS: I'm not an incubator PMC

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com> wrote:
> We've got some fairly hackish ways around this (which cause pain), so the
> question to Incubator folks is - can we use a different package name than
> "org.apache.jspwiki" for our project, or does it require a full rename of
> the project itself?

I don't see any big problems with this as long as there's a good
reason like the one you encountered (ouch!). The proposed
org.apache.wiki should be fine as a package name.

For example the Apache HttpComponents project uses org.apache.http as
their package name.

The proposed org.apache.JSPWiki looks also fine.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Some advice needed on JSPWiki package names

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Janne,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Noel J. Bergman schrieb:
> Janne,
>
> You and I had the same thought.  I suggest going with org.apache.JSPWiki, as
> suggested by you in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-465?focusedCommentId=12660676#
> action_12660676.

I would not go that route, actually I agree with Harry Metske in [1] in
that respect.

BTW: That CORBA and IOP package names are included with JDK is more a
sign of the "quality" of that code, than a good example (just my $.02).

BTW2: This is just a personal thought ..

Regards
Felix

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-465?focusedCommentId=12660689#action_12660689

RE: Some advice needed on JSPWiki package names