Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Avula, Srini" <SA...@aqa.org.uk> on 2004/09/23 13:42:00 UTC

PDF Processors

Hi

Do we have any PDF processors without using XSLT. In this GUI Tools
world lack of GUI design tools to produce XSLT and some of our team
members thinking XSLT is big hassle to design as per their requirement
mainly grouping after 3 or 4 levels.

Any comments please.

Regards
Srini

Visit our website at http://www.aqa.org.uk.

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly confidential, and may also be legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee you may not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments.  Please also destroy this message and notify us immediately by reply.

Re: PDF Processors

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Hi Srini,

FOP has nothing to do with XSLT at all. XSLT just happens to be the
recommended way to generate XSL-FO which is what FOP is designed to
convert to PDF. Packages such as iText, for example, can be used to
create PDF by hand, but then you're going from standard to proprietary
solutions. You can also use a reporting engine such as Crystal Reports
or JasperReports. It all depends if you want to use XSL-FO or not.

There are also alternatives to XSLT:
Velocity: http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/
FreeMarker: http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=20015
XPathScript: http://axkit.org/docs/xpathscript/guide.dkb
more by googling...

...but that doesn't spare you from designing templates by hand. If a GUI
design tool is important to you and the FO editors on the market don't
fit your needs, popular reporting tools are probably your best
alternative.

On 23.09.2004 13:42:00 Avula, Srini wrote:
> Do we have any PDF processors without using XSLT. In this GUI Tools
> world lack of GUI design tools to produce XSLT and some of our team
> members thinking XSLT is big hassle to design as per their requirement
> mainly grouping after 3 or 4 levels.
>
> Any comments please.

Jeremias Maerki