Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by stevecam <st...@geometryit.com> on 2007/11/25 05:02:47 UTC

flowscript vs javaflow - pros and cons?

Hello,

I am a new Cocoon user (via Lenya), are there any major pros and/or cons for
using the javascript continuations (flowscript) vs java ones (javaflow).

I am particularly interested in interaction with a relational database to
determine the 'flow' of pages. Ease of debugging seems important as well.
Performance is not a big issue.

If I can write and debug javaflow in Eclipse then that seems to be a
superior solution, but the fact that continuations require 'add-ons' to java
objects to make them useable maybe causes some side-effects that can be
'gotchas'.

Thanks for any insights.

Steve Cameron

Re: flowscript vs javaflow - pros and cons?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
On 27.11.2007, at 21:04, Jeroen Reijn wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>> If I can write and debug javaflow in Eclipse then that seems to be a
>>> superior solution, but the fact that continuations require 'add-
>>> ons' to java
>>> objects to make them useable maybe causes some side-effects that
>>> can be
>>> 'gotchas'.
>> I am not sure how many people use javaflow in production. Surely
>> javascript has been tested quite extensively. The javaflow
>> implementation is still not officially released and has some
>> little gotchas ...but indeed debugging your flows within Eclipse
>> is a nice thing. But I am biased anyway ;)
>
> We (at Hippo) are using flowscript in production a lot and it has
> always worked very well. I know there are some people that use java
> flow in production as well, but  I have no personal experience with
> it.
>
> About debugging Java flow in Eclipse. That actually does not look
> like a real big problem, unless i'm missing something. I've been
> debugging numerous Cocoon applications with Eclipse.

Well, the instrumention of javaflow does make it a little more
special than just debugging Cocoon ...but as demo'ed at the GT in
2005 - it does work! :)

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: flowscript vs javaflow - pros and cons?

Posted by Jeroen Reijn <j....@hippo.nl>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> If I can write and debug javaflow in Eclipse then that seems to be a
>> superior solution, but the fact that continuations require 'add-ons'
>> to java
>> objects to make them useable maybe causes some side-effects that can be
>> 'gotchas'.
>
> I am not sure how many people use javaflow in production. Surely
> javascript has been tested quite extensively. The javaflow
> implementation is still not officially released and has some little
> gotchas ...but indeed debugging your flows within Eclipse is a nice
> thing. But I am biased anyway ;)

We (at Hippo) are using flowscript in production a lot and it has always
worked very well. I know there are some people that use java flow in
production as well, but  I have no personal experience with it.

About debugging Java flow in Eclipse. That actually does not look like a
real big problem, unless i'm missing something. I've been debugging
numerous Cocoon applications with Eclipse.

The following page[1] has always helped out and the ability to debug
your Cocoon application in Eclipse makes developing Java with Cocoon a
lot easier.

Regards,

Jeroen Reijn

[1]
http://www.jacoozi.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=119&Itemid=134

Re: flowscript vs javaflow - pros and cons?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ma...@c-ware.de>.
Even if this thread might be a little old, I thought I shoud give my
feedback on this.
I am currently usinf JavaFlow in two big Projects.
The first one is a fully equipped logistic portal for a big German
logistic company
The second is an Internet Community (http://www.technoclub.tc)

The first reason for using JavaFlow, was that we had big Problems with
Flowscript when deploying on Bea.

The ease of debuging is ceratinly a really big pro of JavaFlow.
Unfortunately I can't provide any performance details, but since
JavaFlow is not interpreted (As far as I undestood - they do some
dynamic recoding when loading the Class) I should run a little faster
... but this is only an assumption. One thing I can say: we never had
any performance Problems related to JavaFlow.

There are several downsides though, even if they are not no-go-problems:
in JavaScript a modified Script can be loaded at RunTime. If a JavaFlow
Class changes, the Servlet Enginge usually crashes. There were some
comments on a RelaodingClassloader but I have no experiance with this.
There are some Problems using Static stuff. When doing the DB-Typical
try-catch-block in a finally block (As usually needed for closing up a
DB connection) the Rewriting component sort of breaks.
Usually I have a JavaFlow and a Helper Class bundled together. Since
only the JavaFlow Class is rewritten when loaded, a lot of problems can
be solved through this.

Hope this helps.

Chris