Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Vishanth Balasubramaniam <vi...@wso2.com> on 2014/11/14 12:55:05 UTC

Integration Test for Apache Stratos

Hi Devs,

Currently I am working on writing a script that will be used for an end to
end testing where the devs can use this script to do an integration test
after a build. Here I will provide the updates and progress on the work and
expect suggestions and feedback.

To give an overview, the basic flow is provided.

   - A remote Openstack or EC2 instance will be used as the environment for
   the setup.
   - Build can be done from the local machine and the scripts will be
   available on the tools folder.
   - A configuration file will be provided to set the necessities for the
   script.
   - Execution of the script will do the following
      - Secure Copy (SCP) the Stratos Snapshot to the remote instance
      - Start stratos
      - Deploy the artifacts using some curl commands for cartridges and
      groups.
      - Results will be logged into a log file

Thank you and Regards,

--
*Vishanth Balasubramaniam*
Software Engineer

mobile: *+94771737718*
about me: *http://about.me/vishanth <http://about.me/vishanth>*

Re: Integration Test for Apache Stratos

Posted by Vishanth Balasubramaniam <vi...@wso2.com>.
[Sorry the image hasn't been attached in the previous mail correctly]

​

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Seems there is an issue with the diagram attached. Can you resend the image?

Thanks.

vishanthb@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is the high-level breakdown of the Integration Test Framework.
>

> Thank you
>
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Vishanth Balasubramaniam <
> vishanthb@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Imesh,
>>
>> Yes I will create a high level component architecture diagram.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vishanth,
>>>
>>> Will you be able to draw a component architecture diagram for this
>>> implementation to see how we can reuse existing components?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> --
>> *Vishanth Balasubramaniam*
>> Software Engineer
>> WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
>> lean.enterprise.middleware
>>
>> mobile: *+94771737718*
>> about me: *http://about.me/vishanth <http://about.me/vishanth>*
>>

> --
> *Vishanth Balasubramaniam*
> Software Engineer
> WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
> lean.enterprise.middleware
>
> mobile: *+94771737718*
> about me: *http://about.me/vishanth <http://about.me/vishanth>*

Lahiru Sandaruwan
Committer and PMC member, Apache Stratos,
Senior Software Engineer,

email: lahirus@wso2.com blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/

Re: Integration Test for Apache Stratos

Posted by Vishanth Balasubramaniam <vi...@wso2.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Vishanth Balasubramaniam <vi...@wso2.com>.
Hi Imesh,

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Vishanth,

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi Vishanth,

Please send a PR by adding your scripts under /tools then others also can
have a look.

Posted by Vishanth Balasubramaniam <vi...@wso2.com>.
Hi Udara,

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi Vishanth,

Posted by Chamila De Alwis <ch...@wso2.com>.
Hi Vishanth,

vishanthb@wso2.com> wrote:

> A remote Openstack or EC2 instance will be used as the environment for the
> setup.

Can containers be also included, at a later stage if not possible
initially? For common scenarios I think the containers would be the better
option since that can be executed in the local machines. Is it possible to
use IaaS for IaaS specific scenarios only? May be allowing a flag in the
config file?

> Build can be done from the local machine and the scripts will be available
> on the tools folder.

A configuration file will be provided to set the necessities for the script.

What will be the available options in this script? A set of expected events
in a particular order?

> Execution of the script will do the following
>
>    - Secure Copy (SCP) the Stratos Snapshot to the remote instance
>
> For not so frequent uses this would be good I guess. However for long
term, frequent testing this would not be scalable, because of bandwidth
limitations, network availability etc. I guess we can come up with a
centralized and personalized build server which will apply a given patch to
a personalized forked source and copy the artifacts to the test running
instance, which will be in the same network.

Furthermore we can allow the user to specify a set of artifacts to be
copied over to repository/components/patches and restart stratos.

>    - Start stratos
>    - Deploy the artifacts using some curl commands for cartridges and
>    groups.
>    - Results will be logged into a log file

Great to hear of starting a test automation framework. :)

Regards,
Chamila de Alwis
Software Engineer | WSO2 | +94772207163
Blog: code.chamiladealwis.com