Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Tom Gidden <gi...@swdb.com> on 1999/01/21 18:48:28 UTC

config/3738: Name-based virtual hosts listening on multiple IP addresses

>Number:         3738
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Name-based virtual hosts listening on multiple IP addresses
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.3.3
>Environment:
Linux kryten 2.0.31 #9 Mon Dec 7 16:54:44 GMT 1998 i686 unknown
Apache/1.3.3 (Unix) PHP/3.0.5 mod_perl/1.16 mod_ssl/2.1.3 SSLeay/0.9.0b

This machine is running about 20 name-based VHs, all pointing to the same docroot which works out which domain they came through, and localises the content based on that domain.

We need to transfer the names to a new IP, so I put two VirtualHost sections with different IPs but the same ServerName per server handled.

The server zombies, seg faults, and generally misbehaves itself.  No pertinent error logs.

Maybe I'm missing something.  If this is the case, then this is a doc-bug! =)

This site is already using about 512Mb RAM (mod_perl and DBI ballooning) so there isn't enough memory to run a different Apache for the two IPs.
>How-To-Repeat:
Unfortunately, as this is a live site, I can't take the server down for more than about 20 seconds at a time to come up with diagnostics or testing.
>Fix:
As a quick-fix, I have put a single VirtualHost entry on the new IP, which offers a non-localised version of the site (a _bearable_ alternative)

The different localised domains are held by many providers in many countries, so the task of getting the new IP propagated on all country domains is going to be a very big one.  Once we've got a 98% or so propagation on the new IP, we'll switch machines.