Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org> on 2004/12/06 10:55:59 UTC

Discussing a general release schedule was [Re: [VOTE] Agree on general release schedule/activities]

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
>> [Vote ends on 8.12.2004]
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Gregor and I put together a general release schedule and a plan for
>> release activities. I want us to agree on that schedule in order to
>> use it soon for the 1.2.1 release. This vote doesn't mean we can not
>> change the schedule. We can enhance it iterative if needed.
>>
>> You can find the schedule at http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ReleaseHowTo.
>>
>> Here is my +1.
>

> 0
>
> I think it's important that we finally get this release done, that's why
> I vote 0, otherwise I would vote -1, because I really don't understand
> why testing MUST be at least 3 days. But I guess we can discuss that later.

Why not a t least 3 days? IMHO, this ensures a minimum level of quality.

The interesting thing is Michi, you had enough time the last days to
discuss it, and I send lots of reminders. Fortunately I'm a patient
person, as long as people do not waste my time due to ignorance. Also I
do not like discussions in voting threads.

> Some notes on the Release Schedule
> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ReleaseHowTo
> (I don't change there anything, otherwise people might be a bit confused
> in the end)
>
> 1) it's not clear to me when the actual freeze will start. 7 days after
> its announcement?

You should say that in the announcement.

> 2) Item (3): During freeze nothing should be checked in, except
> otherwise requested

That is my opinion too. I will fix that, but Gregor has another opinion.

> 3) Item (5): I guess there it should say 4 instead of 7, right?

I will overwork the schedule re your issues, thanks for the comments.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: Discussing a general release schedule was [Re: [VOTE] Agree on general release schedule/activities]

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

>>  testing MUST be at least 3 days. But I guess we can discuss that later.
>

> Why not a t least 3 days? IMHO, this ensures a minimum level of quality.

because I believe that it should be sufficient to have an appropriate
checklist and that the stable branch is being continuously tested anyway
during "maintenance development"

> The interesting thing is Michi, you had enough time the last days to
> discuss it, and I send lots of reminders. Fortunately I'm a patient
> person, as long as people do not waste my time due to ignorance.

that's certainly not the case, but rather certain family issues at
nights and on the weekend ;-)

> Also I do not like discussions in voting threads.

me neither, but I wanted to explain why I voted 0. I am glad you
started  a new thread

> That is my opinion too. I will fix that, but Gregor has another opinion.

so, I guess we should discuss it once more or at least for next time.

> I will overwork the schedule re your issues, thanks for the comments.

thanks as well

Michi

--
Michael Wechner