Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lukasz Szelag <lu...@fontanus.com> on 2003/01/23 21:38:02 UTC

Context elements in individual files

Hello,

Tomcat (4.1) documentation
(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/context.html )
says that Context elements that are defined inside a Host element in
server.xml can be stored in individulal files (with an ".xml" extension)
in the appBase directory for a Host. Despite that I noticed the
following problems:

1)       It is not possible to store the Context for the default Web
application of a Host in a separate file. That Contaxt has to be defined
in server.xml.

2)       If a Context is stored in a separate file and contains the
nested Parameter elements they seem to be ignored and corresponding
values are not available for servlets
(getServletContext().getInitParameter()). If the same Context definition
is moved to server.xml everything works fine.

Could anyone confirm the above behavior when using Tomcat 4.1?

Thanks,
Lukasz Szelag

Re: Context elements in individual files

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Lukasz Szelag wrote:

> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:38:02 -0500
> From: Lukasz Szelag <lu...@fontanus.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Context elements in individual files
>
> Hello,
>
> Tomcat (4.1) documentation
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/context.html )
> says that Context elements that are defined inside a Host element in
> server.xml can be stored in individulal files (with an ".xml" extension)
> in the appBase directory for a Host. Despite that I noticed the
> following problems:
>
> 1)       It is not possible to store the Context for the default Web
> application of a Host in a separate file. That Contaxt has to be defined
> in server.xml.

Please submit an enhancement request to the bug tracking system:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

> 2)       If a Context is stored in a separate file and contains the
> nested Parameter elements they seem to be ignored and corresponding
> values are not available for servlets
> (getServletContext().getInitParameter()). If the same Context definition
> is moved to server.xml everything works fine.

Please submit a bug report to the bug tracking system:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

:-)

> Could anyone confirm the above behavior when using Tomcat 4.1?
>
> Thanks,
> Lukasz Szelag

Craig