Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Paulo Silveira <pa...@paulo.com.br> on 2003/05/16 22:52:30 UTC

maven PLUGIN repository - would it be a nice idea?

Hello all

It would be very nice if we had a plugin repository, similar to the jars
repository.
Then maven could try to download a maven plugin if it does not find it.

For example, maven-xdoclets plugins are used for many people, but if
somebody else downloads maven for the first time, it will not be able to
build a project that uses one of these non-standard plugins.

thanks for listening
------------------------
Paulo Silveira
http://www.paulo.com.br/
http://www.guj.com.br/

Re: maven PLUGIN repository - would it be a nice idea?

Posted by Bert van Brakel <be...@aeldirect.com>.
and sources and javadocs. So we have

--
  |-jars
  |-plugins

I could generate the docs from the sources, but that requires getting
the source and making sure it builds. It also makes it possible then to
automatically link all the javadocs from various projects, so I can have
one central point where I can browse the API. Currently I do this
manually and it would be great if it could be automated. I'm fairly sure
other would find it useful too.

-Bert

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 08:52, Paulo Silveira wrote:
> Hello all
>
> It would be very nice if we had a plugin repository, similar to the jars
> repository.
> Then maven could try to download a maven plugin if it does not find it.
>
> For example, maven-xdoclets plugins are used for many people, but if
> somebody else downloads maven for the first time, it will not be able to
> build a project that uses one of these non-standard plugins.
>
> thanks for listening
> ------------------------
> Paulo Silveira
> http://www.paulo.com.br/
> http://www.guj.com.br/

-Bert van Brakel

Re: maven PLUGIN repository - would it be a nice idea?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
The idea is that they both be the same repository. And your project could
specify a dependency on a particular plugin, or you could manually
download it using something like:

maven -Dplugin=xdoclet-1.2 plugin:download
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au