Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org> on 2004/11/01 14:12:50 UTC

Re: The Kaffe instance and ant-bootstrap

Dalibor Topic <robilad <at> kaffe.org> writes:

> I've had to solve a similart problem for bootstrapping ant with kaffe &
 jikes in
> kaffe-extras module of kaffe's CVS. There I've patched ant's bootstrap scripts
> for that [1] but of course setting env vars is more elegant ;)

And I can confirm that it works for me with Kaffe's CVS head. Since you're using
the normal debian packages, setting a few additional env vars should do the
trick for the bootstrap with kaffe:

#### extras for ant bootstrap with kaffe
##
## Use jikes with kaffe's class libraries on bootclasspath
export JAVAC=jikes-kaffe

## Jikes doesn't like javac.source=1.2 in build.xml, but only accepts 1.3 or 1.4
export ANT_OPTS="-Dbuild.compiler=jikes -Djavac.source=1.3"

The next issue I had was a bug in GNU JAXP's lookup of SAX parsers. Thanks to
gump for making it easy to spot! ;)

With the issue fixed in my local kaffe tree, ant bootstraps fine and dies on ant
build die to missing configuration bits: xml-apis, and xml-xalan. That's my next
target ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic

Re: The Kaffe instance and ant-bootstrap

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig <bodewig <at> apache.org> writes:

>> The workspace will need to set the build.compiler property to jikes
>> for all Ant builds as well.
>
> Yep. Is setting the environment variable ANT_OPTS enough for gump's
> ant builds,

No.  ANT_OPTS is only used by the Ant wrapper script and Gump invokes
Ant via java directly.

> or does one need to put it somewhere special, too?

Yes.  Inside the workspace definition one used to be able to specify
arbitrary properties to be passed to Ant.  I'd expect that to still be
true.

Stefan

Re: The Kaffe instance and ant-bootstrap

Posted by Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org>.
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig <at> apache.org> writes:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Niclas Hedhman <niclas <at> hedhman.org> wrote:
> > On Monday 01 November 2004 21:12, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> >
> >> Since you're using the normal debian packages, setting a few
> >> additional env vars should do the trick for the bootstrap with
> >> kaffe:
> >>
> >> #### extras for ant bootstrap with kaffe
> >> ##
> >> ## Use jikes with kaffe's class libraries on bootclasspath
> >> export JAVAC=jikes-kaffe
> >>
> >> ## Jikes doesn't like javac.source=1.2 in build.xml, but only
> >> ## accepts 1.3 or 1.4 export ANT_OPTS="-Dbuild.compiler=jikes
> >> ## -Djavac.source=1.3"
> >
> > So, are you suggesting that we do the above, or are you suggesting
> > that we should prepare to get Kaffe from CVS?
>
> Only that we (well, anybody with root privileges) install the
> appropriate jikes package and set the two env variables before
> starting the bootstrap script.

Yep. Getting & building Kaffe from CVS is probably too much manual labour
if you don't intend to hack on Kaffe specifically, while anyone can
update the installed versions of kaffe and jikes-kaffe using apt, I guess.
And I can take care of injecting bug fixes from/for gump into Kaffe's
package on debian, being on the pkg-kaffe team there ;)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 01 November 2004 21:12, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Since you're
> using the normal debian packages, setting a few additional env vars should
> do the trick for the bootstrap with kaffe:
>
> #### extras for ant bootstrap with kaffe
> ##
> ## Use jikes with kaffe's class libraries on bootclasspath
> export JAVAC=jikes-kaffe
>
> ## Jikes doesn't like javac.source=1.2 in build.xml, but only accepts 1.3
> or 1.4 export ANT_OPTS="-Dbuild.compiler=jikes -Djavac.source=1.3"

So, are you suggesting that we do the above, or are you suggesting that we
should prepare to get Kaffe from CVS?

Cheers
Niclas
--