Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Lars Schnoor <La...@ifad.dk> on 2010/11/03 23:15:21 UTC

Re: Welcome to dev@ws.apache.org

Hi

I originally signed up for the XML-RPC mailing list because that was the
project that was and still is interesting to me. In the last couple of
days however I have been bombarded with SPAM from all kinds of Apache
projects that I am not interested in at all. At some point someone asked
if it was a mistake to merge the Apache mailing lists and a couple of
people replied that they actually  think that it indeed was a big
mistake and that was it, no action whatsoever.
So my question is very simple, is there some professional person that
can see that it was a very bad idea to merge the mailing lists and is
willing to undo this mistake, or do we people that don't what our
mailboxes filled-up with unrelated SPAM, have to unsubscribe?
And Lawrence, was there any point in your message asking if it was a
mistake?

Lars

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
How about using prefixes for each project and then adding filters in the
mail clients, just like how we used to do in Axis2 as well as in ws-commons.

thanks,
Thilina

--
http://thilinag.blogspot.com
https://www.cs.indiana.edu/~tgunarat/

Re: Welcome to dev@ws.apache.org

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Alexander,

I *assure* you, unsubscription does in fact work.  If you unsubscribed and it
didn't work, the likely cause is that you were in fact subscribed from two or
more different email addresses (perhaps to two formerly-different lists which
merged into dev, so both subscriptions were carried forward).

If you carefully read the message that ezmlm sends you, you will see that you
can tell exactly what email address it thinks is subscribed by looking at the
"Return-Path" header.  Then it also explains exactly how to turn that into a
specific unsubscribe request that should work even if you aren't sending the
mail from that address.  As it happens, it also explains exactly what to do
if the above fails.

We are working to deal with this issue - all future mails (hopefully
including this one :)) will contain a footer describing how to unsubscribe,
and we are splitting off the subversion commits to a separate list, which
should help a lot.

Thanks,
--Glen

Posted by Alexander Hachmann <pu...@thesofa.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
I have no objections to the creation of a separate mailing lists for commits.

Andreas

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Andreas,

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
It should also be noted that Dan asked if the community felt that we
needed a separate commit list, and the decision not to have one was
provisional. We can have one now.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lars Schnoor <La...@ifad.dk>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 03 November 2010 6:15:21 pm Lars Schnoor wrote:
> Hi
>
> I originally signed up for the XML-RPC mailing list because that was the
> project that was and still is interesting to me. In the last couple of
> days however I have been bombarded with SPAM from all kinds of Apache
> projects that I am not interested in at all. At some point someone asked
> if it was a mistake to merge the Apache mailing lists and a couple of
> people replied that they actually  think that it indeed was a big
> mistake and that was it, no action whatsoever.
> So my question is very simple, is there some professional person that
> can see that it was a very bad idea to merge the mailing lists and is
> willing to undo this mistake, or do we people that don't what our
> mailboxes filled-up with unrelated SPAM, have to unsubscribe?
> And Lawrence, was there any point in your message asking if it was a
> mistake?

This was NOT a mistake, at least not for the dev lists.   ALL of the
developers (well, speicifically the PMC members) are tasked with the oversight
of the ENTIRE ws project, not a small subset or single project in it.   As
such, the developers need to be aware of everything that is going on in all of
the projects.

The BEST model to look at is the commons project at Apache.   They have a very
diverse set of sub projects and have been very successful at being able to
provide adequate oversight on all the projects.   How do they do it: they
MANDATE that there are not separate dev lists for each project.

If the traffic about a particulare subproject grows enough to overwelm the
rest of the projects, that's usually a sign that it's ready to spin out.
Thus, if you don't like it, start participating with XML-RPC, submit patches,
foster ideas, etc.... and help it grow to a point where it's ready to
graduate.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Welcome to dev@ws.apache.org

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
No, Axis2 always had its own mailing lists and they have been migrated
to the new TLP. There is another factor: in a rather inactive project
(inactive in the sense of no more development), a dev list tends to be
used as a user list. When all of a sudden the subscribers of such a
list are confronted with the dev list traffic of an active and healthy
project, they may indeed be overwhelmed. Looking at the previous
comments, this seems to be the case for the xmlrpc list. Since we not
only merged the dev lists, but created a separate user list (it seems
that xmlrpc-user was only an alias for xmlrpc-dev, and the other
subprojects never had a user list), I think that the subscribers who
are in that case should take advantage of this and move to this new
user list.

Andreas

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Lars,

"And Lawrence, was there any point in your message asking if it was a
mistake?"

My point was to state the obvious, that the Apache WS community has lost a
lot of mailing list subscribers since merging all of the lists (I don't
know if this was expected), and to start discussion on whether this merge
was a mistake and should be undone.

Moving the commits to another list should alleviate some of the pain.
Whether it will be enough to stop the exodus of subscribers remains to be
seen.

As far as I'm concerned, losing interested people's attention is counter
productive to an open source (or any) project.

Lawrence

From:
Lars Schnoor <La...@ifad.dk>
To:
dev@ws.apache.org
Date:
11/04/2010 05:46 AM

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I will leave it to Dan, and especially Glen, to rehash the history of
this. I am just quoting board reports and responding to a perceived
personal attack.

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Some of the WS projects are inter-depending , some of them don't have enough
developers. With my past experience on Woden  I'm completely agree with
facts mentioned in the original proposal [1] also I believe this is an
important move we made. I accept there can be exceptional cases those who
want to live alone, I'm not sure whether we can use kind of a filtering
mechanism for them or create a separate list for them .

BTW do you think asking to redo this change only because of a one project is
a good option ?

[1] -
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-commons-dev/201010.mbox/%3C201010121710.29798.dkulp@apache.org%3E

Thanks !

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: Welcome to dev@ws.apache.org

Posted by Don Albertson <dg...@psu.edu>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
His use of the words 'professional' and 'spam' was a direct insult, I
gave it the least offensive interpretation I could think of.

The fact remains that the individual ws components cannot stand on
their own as ASF projects. So they have to work together. That include
reading a certain amount of email about the overall infrastructure.

If I am wrong, and XML-RPC can muster it's own viable community of
active contributors, I will be happy to vote +1 for a tlp with its own
mailing lists.

as of now, however , the board's direction is to eliminate
subprojects. I am perfectly prepared to read any amount of XML-RPC
email and vote as needed for its releases, and I expect XML-RPC people
to do the same for axiom, xmlschema, and the rest.

web sites are a required part of the job of a pmc. if you want to read
the dev list of a pmc, you are going to see email on that subject
unless you set up some filters.

I am sorry to be harsh, but I won't accept being labelled a spammer
for doing the necessary work of this pmc.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Benson,

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Lars,