Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> on 2011/11/02 10:57:44 UTC

Comment from Martin Fowler

Martin Fowler wrote a comment yesterday on our recent discussion about
refactoring:

http://martinfowler.com/bliki/OpportunisticRefactoring.html

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Re: Comment from Martin Fowler

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Very true.  That is why I have tried to work to help Thomas learn how to
> > work with this community.  It isn't all about a snapshot in time; people
> > can develop new skills.
> >

> That's the thing, so far everyone has been trying (incl Thomas) but we
> are still seeing friction. Perhaps it's just the limited time
> available, pressure to get 3.4.0 out, and non-alignment btw Thomas's
> interests and our current goals?

Indeed.  And language issues.  And cultural history.  And software cultural
differences.

Who knows what else.

Thomas is much more reasonable and easy to deal with in person.  That
surprised me.

Re: Comment from Martin Fowler

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>.
i agree. i proposed such a guideline on a separate thread. it wasn't
too well received. i think camille also made some good points. i would
love to establish a guideline of rejecting cleanup patches while fixes
and new functions are being added. it is just too distracting to
everyone involved.

ben

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that Thomas Koch has good contributions to make and lots of energy
> and lots of fascination with Zookeeper.  That is great, but so far somewhat
> less effective than it could be.  If we can help him channel that energy a
> bit more, then it will be much, much better.
>
> I also think that Zookeeper has lots of technical debt, partly because we
> didn't get to start with a codebase designed for testing.  Paying off debt
> is always extremely painful.  We have a payment due.

Ted, no disrespect but put your money where you mouth is, start
reviewing patches if you feel strongly. So far I've taken the brunt of

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I have to say that the entire "my code is bigger than your code" episode in
the Hadoop community should just be considered embarrassing for all
concerned.  That includes the ones who started it, Thomas K who posted a
holier-than-thou (but essentially correct) comment, and Thomas J who posted
a silly put-down in reply.

Let me also save anybody else the breath and say that I have said things at
least as rude as what Thomas J said and at least as naive as what Thomas K.
 I plan to keep on saying both kinds of things, but in smaller quantities.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Camille Fournier <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>.
the tests aren't green dude! that is exactly what i proposed waiting for.

ben