Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by VenuGopal Thati <ve...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/26 21:21:57 UTC

KahaDB version in ActiveMQ 5.15.11 vs 5.16.2

Hi,

While upgrading from ActiveMQ version 5.15.11 to 5.16.2, there is a log
line that says KahaDB version is 6 but when I downgraded back to 5.15.11,
log line printed as KahaDB version is 7. Are these versions related to the
state of the database because of upgrades ?  Or the actual KahaDB ? If it's
actual KahaDB, I am wondering why the version is going down in the new
version of ActiveMQ.

I looked into the source code link below, it's reading this version value
from java.io.DataInput but I couldn't figure out whether it's the actual
database version. Thanks for your help.

https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/ccb1050af9d1ecd5dbd18c4d8df33fdf10cc84dd/activemq-kahadb-store/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/store/kahadb/MessageDatabase.java#L179

Venu.

Re: KahaDB version in ActiveMQ 5.15.11 vs 5.16.2

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, moving forward upgrades should be safe. Note— it is always best to fully drain when you can!

I suggest in production:

1. Shutdown the prod instance.
2. Copy the data over to a separate system.
3. Start up the upgraded broker and verify queue and message counts.
4. Upon success of 1-3, then perform the actual upgrade on the prod server (copy the data from 5.15.11 to the 5.16.2 installation, so you have a rollback without having to worry about downgrade)

There is always a risk of duplication in messaging when you do upgrades without-a-drain, but I think that is safer than risking data corruption. (ie power goes out during the upgrade)

Thanks,
-Matt Pavlovich

Posted by VenuGopal Thati <ve...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.

5.15.x version 6 ref: https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/activemq-5.15.15/activemq-kahadb-store/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/store/kahadb/MessageDatabase.java#L140 <https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/activemq-5.15.15/activemq-kahadb-store/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/store/kahadb/MessageDatabase.java#L140>
5.16.x version 7 ref: https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/activemq-5.16.x/activemq-kahadb-store/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/store/kahadb/MessageDatabase.java#L139 <https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/activemq-5.16.x/activemq-kahadb-store/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/store/kahadb/MessageDatabase.java#L139>