Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Griffin <Jo...@pwgsc.gc.ca> on 2004/07/15 20:45:11 UTC

Changelists

Hi All,

I am new to the list and I am new to svn. I did some searching in the archives but could not find the answer I was looking for. I am a former Perforce user. One of the features I liked in Perforce was the ability to manage multiple changelists as a single user. For example, if I was working on multiple changes I could manage each set of related files under a different changelist and commit the changes at different times. My question is, does svn provide this functionality? If it does how do I access it? If it does not how is this scenario handled using svn?

John

Re: Changelists

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
John Griffin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to the list and I am new to svn. I did some searching in the
> archives but could not find the answer I was looking for. I am a former
> Perforce user. One of the features I liked in Perforce was the ability
> to manage multiple changelists as a single user. For example, if I was
> working on multiple changes I could manage each set of related files
> under a different changelist and commit the changes at different times.
> My question is, does svn provide this functionality? If it does how do I
> access it? If it does not how is this scenario handled using svn?

There's no direct analog in Subversion, although there's nothing to keep
you from grouping your changes and committing them in separate commits
yourself.

For example, assuming you have edits to foo.c, bar.c and baz.c and you
want to have two separate changes, one with foo.c and bar.c and the
other with baz.c you would just commit them via 'svn commit foo.c bar.c'
and 'svn commit baz.c'.

-garrett

Re: Changelists

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Thursday, July 15, 2004 4:45 PM -0400 John Griffin
<Jo...@pwgsc.gc.ca> wrote:

> For example, if I was working on multiple changes I could manage each set
> of related files under a different changelist and commit the changes at
> different times.

If they're distinct and independent changes, you might want to work on them
in separate sandboxes, allowing each to be tested independently of the
other.