Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2002/09/16 15:11:52 UTC

[OT] Job offering in London/UK

Hi,

In normal times, I may not have sent this OT email. But I feel that with
the current bad market conditions, it may actually be received as a
boon. In addition, it's partly about skills in Jakarta products (which
gives me a slight excuse for posting here).

I'm not posting as a Jakarta committer but rather with my hat of MD of
Octo Technology UK (http://www.octo.com), a small (1 man ATM) Software
Architecture consulting company in the UK (London). Octo UK is the
offspring of Octo France which has about 40 people.

I am currently working at a customer site (London/City) and I have the
possibility to recruit a second person for Octo who could work with
myself for this customer. What Octo is doing there and which would be
the job of the new person, can be summarized as follows:

- Definition of the overall software architecture. It involves domains
such as: J2EE, Voice Server, EAI, Reporting, Management (JMX), Web,
Performance/Scalability (about 800 TPS, 99.97% of response time < 1s).

- Definition, set up and championing of the development methodology.
Octo has chosen an Agile approach but our approach is a pragmatic one,
tools-based. The frameworks that we are using are: Avalon,
JUnit/Cactus/HttpUnit, Ant/Maven, Gump, Log4j, Struts/Tiles,
Checkstyle/PMD/PatternTesting, AspectJ, etc. We are continuously
improving and looking for new tools...

- Tech lead: Mentoring of the development team - about 20 persons (we
don't do development per see but rather mentor the existing dev team, we
do get our hands dirty for "architectural frameworks" and we lead by
example).

- Defining platform configurations/performance tuning/problem
solving/etc.

To summarize, I'm looking ideally for someone to hire for Octo
Technology but who would join me on this project to start with. That
person would have to be very knowledgeable in the areas mentioned above.
It's a very high caliber position.

I don't want this email to be too long and thus I'll stop here but feel
free to contact me at vmassol@octo.com for more information.

Thank you
-Vincent

Vincent Massol