Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/30 23:22:27 UTC

Redirecting retired podling websites

It's currently quite awkward fixing up retired podling websites so
they redirect to the status page.
There are currently about 6 such podlings, dating back to Nov 2013.

[It's easy enough to do this for incubator sub-sites (e.g.
http://incubator.apache.org/wave), as these can use a single .htaccess
file; that is not the case for the above sites otherwise they would
have been fixed ages ago]

Recent podlings use websites like http://ariatosca.apache.org/ and/or
http://ariatosca.incubator.apache.org/
The redirects need to be added in each website source.

This can be difficult to do, see INFRA-21451 re Tamaya.
This was opened on Feb 21st and has yet to be completed.

I have proposed an Infra PR which should make it much easier to set up
the redirect to the status file.

The idea is to set up a special directory:
 http://incubator.apache.org/retired/

For each retired podling, create a marker directory, e.g.
tamaya/

If the web server detects that there is a directory matching the first
part of the web host name (e.g. tamaya), then it redirects to
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/tamaya.html (e.g.)

Simples.

Sebb.
P.S. Attic works in a similar way, but adds a banner instead of redirecting.

Re: Redirecting retired podling websites

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 at 13:04, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I’m not sure I’m doing what you expected:
> > >
> > > A file is created with the directories you expect at http://incubator.apache.org/retired/tamaya/project.txt
> >
> > There is no need for a file. However AIUI Git does not support empty
> > directories in checkouts.
> > It might be better to create an empty index.html file instead.
> >
> > > The source is here: https://github.com/apache/incubator/blob/master/assets/retired/tamaya/project.txt
> > >
> > > However I’m not seeing the redirect.
> >
> > There was a missing path segment in the directory check, so the server
> > was not finding the directory.
> > This has now been fixed, and http://tamaya.apache.org/ does redirect.
> > (You may need to clear the browser cache).
> >
> > However http://tamaya.incubator.apache.org/ is not redirecting
> > properly. I need to look into this further.
>
> I'm hopeful that
> https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-p6/pull/672
> will fix the issue.

I think it has fixed it.

Please test with other podlings mentioned in INCUBATOR-262

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 22:28, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 17:48, Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sebb,
> >
> > I noticed you did a lot of updates to .htaccess [1] - I have some inline questions.
> >
> > > On Mar 30, 2021, at 4:31 PM, Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Sebb,

> > > I can add a step in the clutch2.sh shell script to maintain these placeholders.
> >
> > Do you still need retired/${podling} marker directories?
>
> Not yet.
>
> Infra have not yet applied the PR, so the marker directories won't
> have any effect yet.

The PR has now been applied.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.