Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/15 19:52:30 UTC

Webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo integration in Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 release

Hi,

In the recently released Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 [1], we produce a whitepaper
[2] to describe webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo integration. We would like to
share the information here and hope it can trigger more interests from both
Geronimo and Tuscany community to bring more values into these areas
collaboratively.

Developing SOA based solutions can be very complex and expensive. Apache
Tuscany provides a lightweight infrastructure which enables users to easily
implement SOA based solutions or to use
their existing assets and align them with SOA principles which would support
a business model that can extend and expand as business needs change.

Apache Tuscany implements SCA specifications that is being standardized at
OASIS. Tuscany provides the capabilities to construct, assemble and deploy
composite applications using SCA.

This white paper explains how Tuscany integrates with Apache Geronimo, a
fully certified Java EE 5 application server runtime, to provide added value
to users wanting to develop SOA solutions using Geronimo as a platform. The
added values include:

* Extensibility of component implementation technologies
* Extensibility of transport and protocol abstractions
* A notion of cross-application/cross-network assembly and configuration
* Integration of SCA with existing or new EJB based applications

The following are a set of usage scenarios that both JEE and SCA developers
could be interested in.

* Access SCA composites from Java EE components using JEE programming model
* Access session beans from SCA service components
* Expose SCA services as session beans or web services
* Include Session Beans in a single SCA composition by providing an SCA
implementation for session beans.
* Inject SCA service references to web components to enable Web 2.0
* Expose enterprise applications into an SCA domain
* Use recursive SCA assembly in enterprise applications

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sca-java-releases.html
[2]
http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANYWIKI/tuscany-web-application-based-integration-with-geronimo.html

Thanks,
Raymond

Re: Webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo integration in Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

Is there interest in tighter integration between Tuscany/Geronimo? Would
> there be interest in generating a Tuscany Plugin for Geronimo? Running
> Tuscany as a service?
>
> --kevan

Could you explain a bit more about what it means to "run Tuscany as a
service"? Are there any examples or doc on that I could look at?

   ...ant

Re: Webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo integration in Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

<snip>

> Is there interest in tighter integration between Tuscany/Geronimo? Would
> there be interest in generating a Tuscany Plugin for Geronimo? Running
> Tuscany as a service?
>
> --kevan

Yes! I think that would be really useful. Right now we've some ongoing work
getting Tomcat and the new Tuscany distributed domain stuff working together
so having Geronimo also able to do something similar would be ideal. We've
also a Google Summer of Code student working on better Tuscany/SCA
management in the Geronimo admin console so that would be helped by this as
well.

  ...ant

Re: Webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo integration in Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Kevan.

Thank you for pointing out the "Re" issue.

As for the next steps, we have some initial thoughts captured at http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Tuscany+Geronimo+Integration+Next+Steps. Any ideas and contributions are very welcome!

Raymond

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raymond,

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.