Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/03 18:04:41 UTC

Proposed board report, August 2015

Here it is:

ManifoldCF PMC Chair: Karl Wright (kwright@apache.org)
Date: August 2015

Project description
==============

ManifoldCF is an effort to provide an open source framework for connecting
source content repositories like Microsoft Sharepoint and EMC Documentum, to
target repositories or indexes, such as Apache Solr, OpenSearchServer or
ElasticSearch. ManifoldCF also defines a security model for target
repositories that permits them to enforce source-repository security
policies.

Releases
========

ManifoldCF graduated from the Apache Incubator on May 16, 2012.  Since then,
there have been ten major releases, including a 1.9 and 2.1 release on
May 3 and 4, 2015.  The next pair of major releases is scheduled for August
31, 2015.

ManifoldCF is still in the position of supporting both a legacy set of
releases
(1.x), and a non-backwards-compatible set of releases (2.x).  The 1.10
release
is planned to be the last major release of the 1.x series of releases.

Committers and PMC membership
significant use
cases and constituencies.  We are participating in Google Summer of Code
this year,
and expect new connectors to come from that.  Dev list comments for this
period
centered around the ManifoldCF 2.1 and 1.9 releases, and occasional user
questions.
I am unaware of any mailing-list question that has gone unanswered.

Outstanding issues
==================

Release upload to the dist.apache.org svn repository is quite slow, and
takes
well over an hour for a single ManifoldCF release candidate.  We raised this
issue with Infra originally by posting to the Infra list, but did not
manage to
resolve it.  The problem was originally noted in uploads to
people.apache.org.
We were told to migrate to svn for release candidate availability, which we
did,
only to find that it was no faster than uploading to people.apache.org.  I
finally raised a specific ticket - INFRA-9519 - when it became clear that no
progress had been made.  Infra has responded that this is a known issue that
they need to work on long-term.

Branding
========

We continue to believe we are now compliant with Apache branding guidelines,
with the possible exception of (TM) signs in logos from other Apache
products
that don't have any such marks.  We submitted ManifoldCF to the trademark
registration service and received word that our trademark application is now
pending.
<<<<<<

Any comments?
Karl