Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2004/12/20 14:08:32 UTC

PCRE warnings while building httpd trunk

Hi all,

While building the latest trunk of httpd, I am getting these warnings at
the end of the build:

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regcomp
/Users/minfrin/src/apache/sandbox/rpm/httpd-2.1.3/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.a(pcreposix.o)
definition of _regcomp in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regcomp.So) definition of _regcomp
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regexec
/Users/minfrin/src/apache/sandbox/rpm/httpd-2.1.3/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.a(pcreposix.o)
definition of _regexec in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regexec.So) definition of _regexec
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regfree
/Users/minfrin/src/apache/sandbox/rpm/httpd-2.1.3/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.a(pcreposix.o)
definition of _regfree in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regfree.So) definition of _regfree

Do these mean anything to anybody?

Regards,
Graham

Re: PCRE warnings while building httpd trunk

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
On Dec 20, 2004, at 5:28 AM, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> I've seen those warnings when compiling numerous open source projects
> on Mac OS X, no idea what the underlying cause is though.

The reason is that the MacOSX system libraries have regex functions
which have the same names as the ones in PCRE. So, we're running into a
namespace conflict which is fortunately decided in favor of our own
calls. MacOSX has two-level namespace support, where you link
explicitly against symbols in a specific dynamic library (I hear Win32
has something similar), but the libtool that we use to build httpd
turns this feature off since it wants to be able to link against
undefined symbols.

These messages are harmless as far as httpd is concerned.

S.

Re: PCRE warnings while building httpd trunk

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While building the latest trunk of httpd, I am getting these warnings at
> the end of the build:
>
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regcomp
> /Users/minfrin/src/apache/sandbox/rpm/httpd-2.1.3/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.a(pcreposix.o)
> definition of _regcomp in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regcomp.So) definition of _regcomp
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regexec
> /Users/minfrin/src/apache/sandbox/rpm/httpd-2.1.3/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.a(pcreposix.o)
> definition of _regexec in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regexec.So) definition of _regexec
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regfree
> /Users/minfrin/src/apache/sandbox/rpm/httpd-2.1.3/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.a(pcreposix.o)
> definition of _regfree in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regfree.So) definition of _regfree
>
> Do these mean anything to anybody?

I've seen those warnings when compiling numerous open source projects on
Mac OS X, no idea what the underlying cause is though.

-garrett

Re: PCRE warnings while building httpd trunk

Posted by NormW <no...@bocnet.com.au>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While building the latest trunk of httpd, I am getting these warnings at
> the end of the build:
>
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regcomp
> /Users/minfrin/src/apache/sandbox/rpm/httpd-2.1.3/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.a(pcreposix.o)
> definition of _regcomp in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regcomp.So) definition of _regcomp
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regexec
> /Users/minfrin/src/apache/sandbox/rpm/httpd-2.1.3/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.a(pcreposix.o)
> definition of _regexec in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regexec.So) definition of _regexec
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regfree
> /Users/minfrin/src/apache/sandbox/rpm/httpd-2.1.3/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.a(pcreposix.o)
> definition of _regfree in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regfree.So) definition of _regfree
>
> Do these mean anything to anybody?
>
> Regards,
> Graham
> --
>

> .

Good morning,
Much a newbie at this but have seen similar issues when multiple
versions of an 'include' exist on the 'included' paths, but they have
different forms of the lines at the top of the files that prevent
redefinitions.

#ifndef AP_LISTEN_H
#define AP_LISTEN_H

Not these specific lines but that category... from the messages, it
seems (at a guess) one file is defining __TEXT and another __text so
that the second one isn't getting shut out... Provided both files have
the same definition it might not be an issue, but CodeWarrior spits the
dummy on this kind of the thing regardless.

HTH,
Norm