Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Venkatesh Sellappa <vs...@outlook.com> on 2015/10/15 21:26:13 UTC

Newbie Dev Contribution : Questions

Devs,

Firstly, I wanted to commend the fantastic product and the great
documentation on the website.
The Contributor's guide and the User Guide is especially good.

I have been going through the code and trying to see if i can contribute on
some of the newbie, beginner Jiras.

As part of doing this, i ran into one particular blind spot :

Is there a way to debug/run the individual components of the project in an
IDE ? This was not immediately obvious from the documentation.

What's the best place to look for this ?

Venky.

Re: Newbie Dev Contribution : Questions

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
Sean, Oleg,

Our contributor guide is solely on our wiki [1] since its migration out of
the developer guide for easy collaboration.  I believe the page should be
available for editing by anyone with an account.  It would likely be best
to create a version formatted for Confluence and we can iterate as needed.

Oleg, please let us know if there are any issues in the process.

Thanks!

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sean

Re: Newbie Dev Contribution : Questions

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sean

Re: Newbie Dev Contribution : Questions

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
Oleg,

<vs...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Thanks a bunch.
> This is very good.
>
> I think one of the things that threw me off-course is the names of tests
> don;t really correspond with the Class Names. Learning wheels , i guess.
>
> Oleg: https://github.com/olegz/nifi-ide-integration - Very useful this.
>
> Is it a good idea to add a link to the above from the Developer's Guide ?
>
> Venky.

Sean

Re: Newbie Dev Contribution : Questions

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.
While by all means NiFi tests and testing framework should be your first stop at getting up to speed with NiFi, there is a way to run NiFi in debug mode. More info here - https://github.com/olegz/nifi-ide-integration

Cheers
Oleg

On Oct 15, 2015, at 4:10 PM, Andrew Grande <ag...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:

Venky,

Thanks for putting yourself out to help. The best way is to employ an extensive testing framework in NiFi. E.g. take a look at https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-standard-bundle/nifi-standard-processors/src/test/java/org/apache/nifi/processors/standard/TestRouteOnAttribute.java

Andrew

Posted by Andrew Grande <ag...@hortonworks.com>.
Venky,

Posted by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com>.
Venky,

You can get a lot out of our mock test framework when creating unit tests.
>From your processor's perspective, this will be the same as running in an
actual NiFi instance.

Also, you can attach a remote debugger by uncommenting the following line
in conf/bootstrap.conf

# Enable Remote Debugging
java.arg.debug=-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8000

The suspend parameter will tell the JVM to suspend starting up until the
remote debugger is attached. This is helpful for debugging initialization
logic that may fire before your able to attach.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Matt

Posted by Joe Percivall <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hey Venky,

Welcome to NiFi. Thanks for the compliments on the project but it's thanks to developers in the community, like yourself, that help develop it that makes it a great open source project. So again, welcome to NiFi!

As for testing have you seen the testing portion of the devloper's guide[1]? Also just take a look at all the unit tests for the standard processors for examples of how to run and debug your processors in an IDE.

[1] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/developer-guide.html#testing

Hope that helps,
Joseph Percivall
linkedin.com/in/Percivall