Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Dan Drew <wi...@googlemail.com> on 2012/04/23 13:40:21 UTC

isSplitable() problem

I require each input file to be processed by each mapper as a whole.

I subclass c.o.a.h.mapreduce.lib.input.TextInputFormat and override
isSplitable() to invariably return false.

The job is configured to use this subclass as the input format class via
setInputFormatClass(). The job runs without error, yet the logs reveal
files are still processed line by line by the mappers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Re: isSplitable() problem

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
The current code guarantees that they will be received in order.  There some patches that are likely to go in soon that would allow for the JVM itself to be reused.  In those cases I believe that the mapper class would be recreated, so the only thing you would have to worry about would be static values that are updated while processing the data.

-- Bobby Evans

On 4/24/12 4:45 AM, "Dan Drew" <wi...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I have chosen to use Jay's suggestion as a quick workaround and am pleased
to report that it seems to work well on small test inputs.

My question now is, are the mappers guaranteed to receive the file's lines
in order?

Browsing the source suggests this is so, but I just want to make sure as my
understanding of Hadoop is transubstantial.

Thank you for your patience in answering my questions.

Re: isSplitable() problem

Posted by Dan Drew <wi...@googlemail.com>.

Re: isSplitable() problem

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Jay,

Re: isSplitable() problem

Posted by JAX <ja...@gmail.com>.
Curious : Seems like you could aggregate the results in the mapper as a local variable or list of strings--- is there a way to know that your mapper has just read the LAST line of an input split?

I.e if so, then you could implement your entire solution in your mapper without needing a new input format z?

Is there a "cleanup" or "finalize" method in mappers that is run at the end of a whole steam read to support these sort of chunked, in memor map/r operations?

Jay Vyas
MMSB
UCHC

Re: isSplitable() problem