Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rn...@qwest.net> on 2004/07/23 03:07:32 UTC

Struts handling for a spreadsheet look-and-feel form

Hope someone can give me some pointers here.

I need to come up with a "version 2" (i.e. improved) form for entering
data. At first blush, it does not seem out-of-the-ordinary - very
similar in look and feel to a spreadsheet. The first column has person's
names, subsequent columns represent a data collection observation (keyed
by date) - down each observation column (i.e. in each "cell") the
numeric values for each person need to be entered.

I need help in two areas:

1) I want the look and feel to be nice and spread-sheet like as that's
what folks are used to. I really do not want to do this with an applet
hower, I want to stick to HTML forms, Struts and Javascript.

For this first issue, I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions or
reference sites that have the desired look-and-feel.

2) How to structure the ActionForms for this. I've done Struts forms
with a variable number of rows/lineitems, but always with a fixed number
of columns. It seems like an awful lot of overhead to have an individual
ActionForm instance for each cell - but I do not seen any other way to
have the number of rows and columns variable.

Or should I even use ActionForms? Is there another approach that is
better?

Thanks in advance - Richard