Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Jon Brisbin <br...@ipa.net> on 2000/08/12 03:41:45 UTC

multiple selects

Will I have to use a database object to do mulitple selects within one
page??  I've got a navigation page that comes from one table and the content
that comes from another table...is it possible to do more than one
DBIx::Recordset->Search  within a page??  I'm having trouble with it
now...the first one works, but the second one doesn't...

Jon Brisbin

Re: multiple selects

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Will I have to use a database object to do mulitple selects within one
> page??  I've got a navigation page that comes from one table and the
content
> that comes from another table...is it possible to do more than one
> DBIx::Recordset->Search  within a page??  I'm having trouble with it
> now...the first one works, but the second one doesn't...

You have to setup a DBIx::Recordset table for each table you want to access.
To avoid the overhead of setting up a second database handle, either use a
DBIx::Datasebase object and with the param !KeepOpen =>1 and use this object
as argument to the !DataSource parameter of DBIx::Recordset or simply use
the first DBIx::Recordset object as argument for all following !DataSource
parameters. In this way you can have as much DBIx::Recordset object in one
page without any overhead.

Hope I got your question right?

Gerald

E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925151

Re: multiple selects

Posted by Jon Brisbin <br...@ipa.net>.
I figured out a hack to this...I just duplicate my $fdat{'!DataSource'}, et.
al. in a separate file called content.ehtml, then from my main page, I do my
navigation, which is a "sub" imported from a Util file...then I "Execute"
the content page, passing my record id in the param array...it's kind of a
kludge, but it works :-)

is there a more elegant way than this to accomplish this??

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin
www.jbrisbin.net
mail@jbrisbin.net